a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Night Sailing

Started by hazelscamp, January 18, 2007, 01:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hazelscamp

I was able to get in a day & night sailing trip early this month in company with a O'day 20+ centerboard boat.   Temps were in the 70's and the wind was very light.  The Eclipse seemed to have a problem keeping up with the O'day, but he was lighter displacement and had lighter weight sails than I.  (He was also a more experienced sailor).   Anyway the weather was wonderful for January and sailing at night on the St. Johns river in NE Florida is no problem.  Plenty of shore light to navigate by and a shrimp dinner at Whitey's in Doctor's Lake as a halfway point.  The Eclipse is a comfortable boat and it's nice to do everything from the cockpit while out at night.     Looking forward to more mild winter sailing.

Craig Weis

OK OK rub it in...sailing in January. It is snowing outside my window as we speak! Blaaaa
I think that winter is a test of ones stupidity! Good luck and sail well in the warm climes. I like your boat.skip.

pelican

hazelscamp,

Sounds like a great time was had by all. The winter cold has been almost nonexistent in the Tampa bay area.... It's OK with me.

Question : We have been entertaining the idea of purchasing an Eclipse. Have you sailed yours in varied conditions ? Does having an open transom present any issues for you? I am kind of torn between the Eclipse and their cat boat line.
Thanks

Terry

hazelscamp

No I haven't  experienced enough rough weather in my
TERRY:
Eclipse to give you a good answer,  since river sailing is usually without large wave action.   You might check out the notes from Skip956,  he seems to have had more overall expernience than I and perhaps his Eclipse has been out in the Gulf.  The open trasom is a plus for me and if I intended to make weekend overnight sails, I would go with a Eclispe, otherwise the catboat is an interesting option.

I would like to hear from someone with experience to compare the Eclipse with the CP19  & CP23.

Good Sailing!

Norm