a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bulkhead compass suggestions?

Started by H2operator, March 01, 2019, 08:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H2operator

My bulkhead compass is dead. I'm considering a smaller model like the Plastimo Mini Contest. Has anyone installed one, and is it very readable? I'm considering wearing glasses!
Thanks, Lance

Bristol14

My '87 Com-Pac 23 has a Ritchie compass. It's very readable and Ritchie will replace the glass, oil, etc for a modest price when a repair is needed.
Paul

H2operator

Thanks Bristol, which model do you have?

Vipersdad

I replaced my factory compass with the Ritchie Venture SR-2.  I had to enlarge the hole on the port cockpit bulkhead to fit the SR-2.  They include templates for making the cut and detailed instructions.

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?name=ritchie-venture-sr-2-compass&path=-1|17|2338927|2338930&id=751287

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Bristol14

Not sure of the Ritchie Model, maybe the Voyager series?  My boat is buttoned up for a few more weeks, snow heeds to melt.

It was probably 20 years old, now it's like new.
Paul

brackish

I installed a Plastimo Mini Contest about four years ago.  I honestly can't give you any information about it.  I've not removed the cover in that four year period.  Guess I should to see if it is still working.  Where I sail, I don't need it, I just put it in because I already had a hole there and the old one was dead with a cracked bezel.

In this day and age, GPS has become primary, a compass is a backup.

H2operator

Thanks for the reply's. It's worth staring that any boat that may go offshore or could experience limited visibility and or a power failure a compass is a must. I've spent many hours on watch checking the compass heading to make sure I'm on course. One of my first deliveries was on a trans-Atlantic crossing where we were not allowed to use the autopilot. I've done other crossings where the boats didn't have an AP at all. GPS and autopilots are awesome but can't always be relied on.

patclem

I just saw this post, and thought I'd throw something in there.  I mounted speakers just inside the companionway.  They're really nice outdoor speakers, big magnet.  I sail in a lake and don't need it, but my compass doesn't spin anymore.  Just something to think about...

Jim in TC

Quote from: H2operator on March 07, 2019, 08:33:57 PM
Thanks for the reply's. It's worth staring that any boat that may go offshore or could experience limited visibility and or a power failure a compass is a must. I've spent many hours on watch checking the compass heading to make sure I'm on course. One of my first deliveries was on a trans-Atlantic crossing where we were not allowed to use the autopilot. I've done other crossings where the boats didn't have an AP at all. GPS and autopilots are awesome but can't always be relied on.

No need to go very far offshore to find a compass handy. The photo (if it attached) shows the last we saw of land, maybe a couple miles from shore in a large Bay. Light air reduced our ability to manage direction from the wind (which can vary, in any case). Lack of a compass would not have been a disaster, but having one made our return to port far more manageable.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel