a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boom Vang

Started by gmerrill, April 29, 2019, 08:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

How important is the Boom Vang as it applies to the sailing performance of the Eclipse?
Greg

slode

Greg,

having something to keep the sail flat when off the wind is pretty critical to performance on any sailboat, especially one with shrouds that angle back aft of the mast.  You probably notice you can't let too much sheet out before the sail starts contacting the shroud without the vang tight.  The traveler also helps a lot for off the wind sail trim and performance.  I find that with the traveler all the way to leeward, the vang and mainsheet tight, and the genoa sheeted in to the proper angle, the Eclipse scoots along pretty good on a broad reach.  Without the vang I'd probably loose a good 10-15 degrees of good downwind reaching capability.  In winds <6-7 knots your VMG to dead downwind is probably better broad reaching and jibing back and forth than running straight downwind. 
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

gmerrill

Thanks for the info. That makes a lot of sense. I come from a Precision 23 where the sail balance was much easy and there was no traveler to deal with. It was a fast boat and pointed good but it would this get on its side quick unless your sail area was diminished a good bit. I sailed the P23 from Pensacola to Long Beach, Ms with no problems. But if you got in some good close 2 to 3 footers it would beat you up.