a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Time to say hello

Started by rmpalmer, April 28, 2019, 08:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmpalmer

Now that I have sailed my Eclipse seven times, I guess it is time to say hello.  I have hull number 8, bought from a guy in Santa Cruz, California last year and shipped home.  I love it, worth the effort to find it and bring it to Texas.  I've named her Valkyrie!  The boat is in great shape, but I had some trailer things to take care of - namely replacing an axel after bearings failed and a wheel fell off, but I think it is fully functional now. 

I've sailed her on Galveston Bay as well as Lake Somerville and Lake Livingston, where I was today.  It's a huge reservoir on the Trinity River.  The winds were very fluky and for an hour or so, I was bobbing and baking in the sun, hoping the windex would settle on one direction.  When the winds picked up, I had a great afternoon, cruising along between 4 and 5 knots. 

Looking forward to a good many more fun times on this great boat.

gmerrill

I do most if not all of my sailing in the the MS Sound along the Gulf Coast. While the water is not deep it can still get quite rough when the winds pick up. I often get frustrated with my Eclipse when the winds fall and I can get much speed up.  But when those winds pick up and those 3 to 5 foot rollers appear. I'm heading out with my sailing buddy while the rest are sitting at the dock.  This boat has amazed me with its stability and ability to handle rough conditions.  I hope I can learn how to get her to point higher on course and trim her sails better. Until then I'll just enjoy the ride.

alsantini

Welcome aboard sailor.  I have had my Eclipse (#49) for going on 6 years now and am more impressed with her every year.  Like Greg says she really handles the rough weather/water really well.  I am getting Off The Wind ready to launch here in northern Illinois after a winter down in SW Florida trailer sailing.  Enjoy and keep the pics coming.  My goal this summer is to use my drone and capture OTW under sail without dropping the drone into the water.  Enjoy that great boat.  Sail On.   Al