a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boom Kicker on a Sun Cat (or =)

Started by Jim in TC, May 31, 2019, 11:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim in TC

Our 2006 Sun Cat came with an uninstalled boom kicker. (Unfamiliar with the concept? http://www.boomkicker.com/). Has anyone seen this installed on one of the Cats? I can really see little need except maybe to make reefing while out and about a bit easier. It does seem as though it would take on the same duties, or similar anyway, to a topping lift without the need for another line. If you have any experience with them, is there a downside? On the instructions there is a hand-written note that one would have to remove the boom gallows if installed. I don't see why that would be necessary, though the boom gallows would certainly have less to do (but I am pretty certain that the kicker would not hold both boom and mast when the mast is hinged down, and would not keep it all in place in any event).
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Zephyros

Here is a link to a how to for the Suncat.
https://www.tropicalboating.com/2011/07/installing-a-boomkicker-k0750-on-a-com-pac-sun-cat

Several others on the forum have installed them, try the search bar. You should not need to remove the boom gallows, in fact you don't want to if you trailer. Several mentioned they can be a pain as they have to unpin them to drop the mast.

bruce

Jim,

I get 83 hits on the CPYOA for boomkicker. If you still need more input, I get over 400 hits on the TSBB Catboat forum (now pretty much dead, but the archives are still useful). Tom Ray (Tropicalboating) and Don Nemetz (Captain Nemo) were active on both lists when they owned Sun Cats, so there's going to be some duplication. Comments by others on the TSBB may be useful, Tom Scott in particular.
https://forum.trailersailor.com/forum.php?id=4

The gallows aren't a problem, but, as Zephyros said, for lowering the mast you'll need to unclip the boomkicker to get the boom below the hinge. That might work better it you kept your boat in the water, but Tom Ray didn't seem to think it was a problem.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Jim in TC

Thanks for the links and advice...not sure why I got so lazy as to skip the initial search!
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

bruce

I know it hasn't been easy sorting out the way the PO had set up your boat, but she certainly provided you some interesting accessories, between the Ida Sailor rudder, the Torqeedo, and the Boomkicker!

I have a boom vang on my PC which I like. Not so much for sail shape, but for controlling the boom off wind and, more importantly, in the inevitable chop, wind and power-boat generated. For me, it makes all the difference between powering through a rough patch, with the boom held down by the vang, or losing way if the boom is allowed to bounce around with the vang slacked off. Tom Ray, in his write up on Tropical Sailing, points out that the Boomkicker is designed to work under compression, not tension, but the owner did report that the boom was stabilized in chop. The way the Boomkicker is attached to the boom could easily be modified to further limit the travel of the car, and the boom lifting. Not a rigid vang, but it may be all that is needed.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Zephyros

Quote from: bruce on June 02, 2019, 08:10:14 AM
I have a boom vang on my PC which I like. Not so much for sail shape, but for controlling the boom off wind and, more importantly, in the inevitable chop, wind and power-boat generated.

The way the Boomkicker is attached to the boom could easily be modified to further limit the travel of the car, and the boom lifting. Not a rigid vang, but it may be all that is needed.
Hi Bruce,
Interesting point on the boom vang helping to control the sail in chop. I like your single point solution of the modified Boomkicker to almost make a rigid vang so after a few google searches I found the Selden Rodkicker Rigid Vang 05 (with Gas Spring), what are your thoughts on this solution for our catrigs?

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/selden-mast-rodkicker-rigid-vang-058-036-06

QuoteThe Rodkicker is Selden's rigid boom vang. Vang can be tensioned to prevent the boom from riding up, thus keeping the mainsail flatter when running downwind. With its integral gas-spring exerting upward force, it can also support the weight of the boom, replacing the topping lift - an advantage with full roach mains, and allowing for delicate mainsail trimming in light air when the weight of the boom may overflatten the sail. During reefing, it facilitates sail handling by preventing the boom from dropping into the cockpit or onto the coach roof.

bruce

Tom,

Interesting. My initial response is that, while designed for what you want to do, the capacity is for a significantly larger boat. With your Day Sailer, you could mount the 3.7' minimum Rodkicker far enough out on the boom, and not have to worry about hitting the cabin, but I know my crew sitting forward wouldn't like it taking up their headspace. Such a shallow angle won't be effective holding the boom down. Spring rates would be high for your needs. You still have to disconnect it for lowering the mast.

Looking at the specs for the Boomkicker models, they are more targeted for our range. A traditional boom vang could be added if necessary for tension. I went with a 4:1 purchase, Garhauer 25UAB 4-1, because it was made up and included the cleat that I wanted, lower purchases had different cleats. Com-Pac uses Garhauer tackle on the PC sheet so they match perfectly. The forces aren't that great, a 3:1 or 2:1 could be enough for us. I could have set up my own at a lower purchase, using a cam cleat.
http://www.boomkicker.com/bk_specs.html

One nice thing about the vang is even though it's 4:1, the amount of tail to store when the rig is folded down is minimal, less than a couple of feet.

I'm sure there are other rigid vang products out there, I just don't know what's available.

As always, you could experiment and rig a temporary tackle to see if you like the idea of a boom vang. Vangs aren't common on a catboat, George Haycraft, who recommended it to me, passed this PDF along. Most days, we snug up our vang after we raise the sail and forget it. We don't need to slack it off for turning downwind. If you decide a boom vang would be useful, and wanted to try a rigid vang, I'd try the Boomkicker of these two.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Zephyros

Ah, the length, I did not look at the specs in detail. Well then, here is another interesting hit.

Garhauer Marine RV12-1 Rigid Boom Vang $300.00
Rigid Boom Vangs are custom made for each boat. Customization includes:  Length of vang
https://www.garhauermarine.com/mast-boom/rigid-boom-vangs/rigid-boom-vang-rv12-1.html

However, one flaw maybe getting the boom to rest on the gallows with a rigid vang attached.

bruce

For boats 18'-24', seems more like it. They should be able to size it to so the boom can be just above the gallows, and drawn down with the included tackle, looks like a gas strut. Still need to disconnect it for lowering the gooseneck below the hinge, so you'd want a pin mount.

Worth talking to them, may be just the thing.

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI