a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

POWERING WINCHES WITH TOOL

Started by Allure2sail, March 04, 2019, 01:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allure2sail

THER ARE TWO UNITS ON THE MARKET, ONE IS A MILWAUKEE 28 VOLT RIGHT ANGLE DRILL WITH AN WINCH TOOL BIT ADAPTER FOR THE CHUCK AND THE OTHER TOOL IS CALLED A WINCHRITE AND IS MADE JUST FOR WORKING WINCHES ON OBVIOUSLY A SAILBOAT. CURIOUS TO HEAR ABOUT ANY ONE EVER USING OR OWNING ONE OF THEM. PROS AND CONS PLEASE. RECOVERING FROM A STROKE THAT I HAD LAST YEAR, AND ONE OF THES WOULD HELP ME GET BACK TO SAILING THIS YEAR.
THANK YOU
BRUCE
S/V ALLURE
SWANSEA, MA

deisher6

Hey Bruce: 
Good to see that you are still kicking around and sailing.

The rigger that set up my roller furling used the 120 volt version of the Milwaukee tool.  He went up the mast using the front end of the main halyard rigging the other end through a sheet block to the starboard main winch.  I ran the tool for him.  It worked very well.  I think that we used the high speed direction of the (two speed) winch and it was a fast ride up.  Care needs to be taken with overrides.  If the cordless versions are similar I would recommend them for use.

regards charlie

Allure2sail

Hi Charley:
Good to be back at it. Took two years of hard work and therapy but I'm about 90% back to doing what I want. Bought the Milwaukee setup yesterday along with a spare 28 volt XC battery. Should help me a lot. I'll let you know. found one that had only been used a few times (lucky).
Bruce

Pacman

The power units look like a useful idea.  Reducing effort requirements seems to be the key to keeping us sailing as we age.

I now sail "lazy".  That is, with minimal effort.

My "lazy sail trim" (bringing in the genoa) is accomplished by;
  1. heading up until the sail luffs,
  2. pulling the jib sheet in, and
  3. fall off back to my desired course.
  4. then I ease the jib sheet out to the desired position and cleat it.

NO HARD PULLING!

I can do it quickly and smoothly enough that I seldom use the winches.

Now "lazy sailing" is my goal so I am trying to find the easy way to do things on the boat.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile