Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sleeping bunk board upgrade

Started by Finbar Beagle, February 23, 2019, 08:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finbar Beagle

Folks,

I still have not figured out how to sleep on my 19.  I believe solution is to mount board under companion way hatch, to fill cabin sole, and sleep across the beam of the boat.

I know some have done this.  Any advise before I leap into uncharted project shoals?

Thanks,
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

Bob23

Finbar Beagle

Admiral Ellen is a bit claustrophobic, and the lack of head room in the V does not help.

Finbar Beagle

I am thinking starboard box to fill the cabin sole, and two additional starboard 'risers' so new height is over current bunk cushion sideboard.  No fixed attachment, 3 prices for portability, and the box to be used to stuff sleeping bag/pillows...

Not permanent, keep in dock box when not needed.

I guess plan B would be for me to diet, but that ballast comes in handy, probably delays reefing by 8 knots of wind speed.

Reighnman

For me, I'd want a small area in front of the companionway steps left open so i could swing my feet down to get up. Might only be 10 inches but it beats getting up from ground level. Could you rotate the 1/4 berth cushions to fit the area?
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

Finbar Beagle

Good point Ryan, but I think it will need to overlap the companionway step. But I will check.   So, will be a knee lift off, I envision.  Porta-poti moves to cockpit.  Yes to re-orientate quarter berth cushions,

Already working on cockpit privacy tent/canvas. 

Remember, not planning for more than 1 overnight at this stage, per trip.
Some may be at slip/marina.

Jackrabbit

You're gonna need a bigger boat....(sorry, I just watched "Jaws")

peterg

Brian,
Way back in the day, with our first CP19 Athena, we made a removeable, multi-piece plywood shelf that fit over the sole, a few inches below the adjoining cushion tops. I don't remember what they rested on.....we then used square flotation cushions on top of the plywood. Everything fit well, and sleeping athwart-ships was much more comfortable than fighting with the vee berth.
PeterG
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

Finbar Beagle

Thanks, repurposing the float pads make a lot of sense.  Sounds like the correct starting direction on this project.

I think jaws ate a bigger boat in Jaws 2, and helicopter.  So admiral will probably it go or that...

slode

I looked at a couple CP19s before deciding on our Eclipse.  I though the layout of the quarter births was about the same.  Filler boards can be placed between the benches and the back cushions from the benches fill the space between.  This makes for a very comfortable setup.  Our portapoty goes from under the companionway to between the sink and starboard galley.  Nothing like having your head 12" away from the admiral reliving herself in the middle of the night.  But it works.

We find the quarter births much easier to use and comfortable than the V birth.  We use the V birth area for storage or extra space for a kid or two to sleep.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

comfortably numb

Guess I am missing something as usual; why not use the intended port and starboard 6' 6" births ? I know my Admiral is glad to get rid of me for one night.

Finbar Beagle

Numb,

Fair point.  I have not even tried to squeeze in there.  I tend to sleep on my side, so just thought it would never work.  Previous owner was pretty safety conscious ( he was an airline pilot) and he mounted fire extinguisher, electrical panel, flare gun mount, air horn, first aid kit, spare part box...all mounted in here.  The boat used to be based in Atlantic Highlands, NJ,  and cruised the busy Lower Hudson Bay with the all the ship, ferry, barge traffic, so you needed to be prepared.

I keep paddles, boat hook, and water cannon, on port quarter birth under the cockpit bench. 
Heck, I will give it a go next time I am on boat, but may have to grease the hips...

Bob23

I sleep on my side berths when I do sleep down below and they are pretty comfy. Lee cloths can keep you from rolling off the edge.

Finbar Beagle

Bob,

I think on the 23, more of the open quarter berth is exposed.  On the 19, I think your hips end up under the cockpit.

It's about proportion.  My proportion is XXL, and my 19 is a M.

Your are a M, and your 23 is a L.

All good.