Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bonus is finally paid. And the winner is CP Picnic Cat

Started by Finbar Beagle, March 10, 2018, 09:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce

Looks sweet!

I've got first hand experience with a TillerClutch. The installation of the control line is much more critical than they suggest. Useful, but the boat is so sensitive to weight distribution, if you move around, like go to the mast, the boat can veer off regardless of what the tiller is telling it to do.

A friend's PC had a seriously spread mast track at the hinge. About 3/4", bent up, but no tears or splits. Every time they raised or lowered the sail the slugs and/or gooseneck would fall out. I was able to close the spread with some judicious reforming with a small, plastic dead blow hammer. Works fine now. Com-Pac sells SS bars to install over track damage. May be necessary in some cases, but not the ones I've seen.

I helped set up a Torqeedo 1003 on a PC. The tiller is a problem, especially with a fixed motor mount. But, if the tiller can be left off, as it can with the 1003, then it should be doable. For the 1003, Torqeedo sells a remote throttle with all the controls that sits in the cockpit and is cabled to the motor. Or, again with the 1003, you can get extension cables that would attach the tiller, sitting in the cockpit, to the motor. Not quite as elegant as the remote throttle, but cheaper. Both may be available for the 503 as well. The adjustable motor mount has a couple of issues on it's own.

Draw latches are definitely better than the hooks Com-Pac uses.

Let me know if you want more info.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Tim Gardner

Brian,
I get complaints from perfect strangers about my boat "storage Yard"  too many boats, too little time. I feel your pain.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

Finbar Beagle

Boat floats, had out in Manasquan Reservoir last weekend.  Managed to sort rigging out and raised mast and gaff correctly.  I think it took 4 mast raisings, and one scary point where gaff was stuck above my head at brain injury trajectory.  Lesson learned, do not raise gaff without sail.  There is no way to pull it down without pulling on sail.  Torqeedo fit OK, but need to remove throttle handle when motor tilted up.  This is project for 2019.

Bending on mainsail today, after applying some white lithium grease to sail track.

Trailor bunks in, but am changing boat accents from red to forest green. it's an Irish thing, and matching tape, NJ registration and name all on order for next weekend application.  So bunks go on after new stripe.  The red boat cover is staying, as too expensive to replace and is in good shape.  So may have new Christmas decoration in driveway...

That said, Let me know if anyone is looking for a red picnic cat boat and sail cover, both in really good shape (3 years old).

All good.

Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

bruce

Sounds good, Brian, enjoy your new boat!

Com-Pac ships the PC with the sail bent on, and most, including me, never remove it except for maintenance. For high speed trailering, wrap the sail bundle tight with line or stretch wrap.

You mentioned that your mast track was spread a bit, and easy fix. If you do need to remove the sail, with the track back in spec, just remove the two hinge pivots.

Grease is good, but if you have binding there are known issues. When dousing, having to tug on the luff is common, but it should slide relatively freely.

Here's the extension cable that connects the tiller to the motor, so you can leave the tiller loose in the cockpit all the time and still control the motor, except for steering of course ;). They also have a remote throttle, for more bucks.
https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/products/accessories/cables-and-steering/throttle-extension-cable-5-ft/1921-00.html

I'll mention the red covers on the Yahoo list. I'll let you know of any interest.

Bruce

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Finbar Beagle

Had very successful first sail, with Marty at helm, during the Barnegate Bay Bash. Wind was around 10 mph, so near perfect conditions.

Started out reefed, and shook them out after about an hour.  I know now that I need to repair sail slug track, as this was a bit awkward to hand feed past bent section. 

Boat handelled 2 ft bay swells well, and was solid and comfortable though all points.  Large boat wakes stopped forward momentum, but presented no other concerns.

I did hit Marty with boom during first sail hoist when boom popped out of gallows too soon.  Learned to pay more attention in future.  Learned Marty has thick head bone.

Decided tiller clutch is needed.  I have one and will mount before next sail.  Bungee was not practable.

Torqeedo 503 short shaft motor did well, but need to try to raise to get lower prop unit completely out of water when sailing.  May look at changing fixed motor mount to one that raises.

Had renaming ceremony, Krakon rum was shared with Neptune, and new name coming soon...

Added small plow anchor, rode and anchor are kept in soft igloo cooler with extra padding on bottom in forward hatch.  Did not deploy,but happy with organized result.  Whole cooler bag comes out of hatch when deploying anchor.  Spare Torqeedo battery fits it same compartment, and weight forward is a key.

Next stop- shrewsbury and navesink rivers in Monmouth county, nj.  Need to show wife where I learned to sail.

Bob23

Great write up and a wonderful little ship! I really like it and was honored to help preside over the renaming ceremony! Many fine hours for you and your wife aboard this intrepid vessel! And no slouch, either!!

K3v1n

1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

K3v1n

1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

Finbar Beagle

Pretty sure, but Mary is a bit thin in the beam for corfartable rowing.  If you mean  the boat, on list for next season projects already.  Need to measure oar length, and where to store them.

bruce

For yucks, I did run John Harris's formula (CLC), that takes into account the ample freeboard, I see 11'. Not that storing them will be the biggest issue. The sheet, boom, and sail will be in your face.
http://www.sailflyingcloud.com/Downloads/Geometry%20of%20Rowing.PDF

I did know a FL sailor who converted his PC for fishing in the summer when it was always too hot to sail. He took the mast off at the hinge, and used oars as auxiliary power, in case his OB failed. He converted back for the winter. Sculling the PC is easier.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI