a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclipse weight?

Started by alsantini, December 01, 2018, 02:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

I had the same problem with my original trailer tires. Had a tread separation and after looking at other tire the tread was wearing down fast. I believe a good bit of my problem was my tires were under inflated. I went back with a 4 ply versus 2 ply and a F rating with 1650lb load per tire and aired up to 80 to 90 lbs of pressure. I haven't used them yet as my boat is kept in a slip. But being in hurricane and tropical storm country. I need a trailer for emergency outhauls
Greg

alsantini

Hi Greg.  What size tires do you have on your trailer?  3 years ago I switched from the 10 inch tires to 13.  They were radial and rated at 1650 lbs each.
Back in Florida and I will definitely have different tires on the trailer when I head home in April.  On my do list, is a trip to the tire store this next week.

Al

gmerrill

I had the same problem with my original trailer tires. Had a tread separation and after looking at other tire the tread was wearing down fast. I believe a good bit of my problem was my tires were under inflated. I went back with a 4 ply versus 2 ply and a F rating with 1650lb load per tire and aired up to 80 to 90 lbs of pressure. I haven't used them yet as my boat is kept in a slip. But being in hurricane and tropical storm country. I need a trailer for emergency outhauls
Greg

gmerrill

Al
    Sorry for the late reply.  I still have the 10" but with a much heavier load rating. I do believe if I started trailering a lot I would follow your lead and go with a larger tire
Greg

Ken J

Isn't F rating 12 ply and 95 lbs ? Do they make that in a 10in tire ? I have E rating which is 10 ply and 90 lbs tire pressure

alsantini

Well I hit the scales with Off the Wind and 3250 was the results.  So, basically with the bare boat supposedly at 2200 I think it may be time for a diet!  I know that I have much extra stuff so it is time....  I bought load range D 185 x 13 to replace the load range C's that I was forced into buying on the road with over 800 miles more driving to get here (in Florida).  Bought Carlisle tires and they "look" good.  When the tire blew big time it must have ripped the axle seal because when I installed the new tires the inside of the right side rim was covered in grease.  Today I will pull the wheel and replace either the seal or bearings and seal.  Fear of dunking the trailer into salt water has kept OtW out of the Gulf so far.  I may sail 5 days next week just to make up!    Sail On      Al

waterwheels

That's the kind of numbers I was expecting. Al was that loaded; fuel, water, safety gear etc?

Don

alsantini

Ready to sail minus the motor, which was in the vehicle.  Sails, lines, PFD's, a bottle of Southern Comfort (for overnights....), spare parts, etc.  Motor probably at 60 lbs to add to the total,  BTW 4 gals of gas 3 gals of water also on board.  At least the porta-potti was empty...  LOL  Sail On    Al