a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tow vehicle for a 19

Started by philb Junkie19, September 25, 2018, 07:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philb Junkie19

I am in touch with someone interested in a cp19, (not mine). He has a Honda Odyssey which can be rated up to 3500 lbs with transmission cooler etc. I'm guessing a loaded 19 would trail at around 3000lbs?. Has anyone had experience towing a19 wth this or a similar vehicle?  I'm not sure but tows could be limited to several miles. 
Phil

wes

The 19 and its trailer are a heavy package and have a lot of windage too. Although I've never had mine weighed, I'd bet good money that it's at least 3000 lbs total. This thing is no Sunfish, for sure.

I initially towed with a 2004 Tacoma (2WD) and had some scary experiences on the highway and at the steeper, sandier ramps. I typically towed 45 minutes each way to my local ramp. My trailer requires the truck's rear wheels to be in or very near the water before the boat will float off.

Bought a 4WD Honda Ridgeline and I'm MUCH happier when towing, plus no more ramp problems. Highly recommend a 4WD truck with towing capacity in the 5000 lb range. Or buy a Sunfish.

Pro tip: rent a slip.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

CaptRon28

My Horizon is a foot longer and has the diesel. On a certified truck scale, the total weight of the boat and trailer, including the tongue weight, winds up at about 4200 pounds.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

fried fish

We have a Compac 23 which towed fine behind a 2013 Tacoma 4wheel/ 6 cylinder over 500 miles to the Florida Keys. Probably boat and trailer were 4000 lbs.
The truck did fine. Gas mileage dropped significantly. Tow package rated for 6500 lbs.
I never felt unsafe.
We also have a 12' trailer tongue extension for easier launching and retrieval.
This system works great. The 23 would be extremely difficult to float onto trailer without the extension. Truck tires would be in the water without it.
Fred

slode

I tow our Eclipse, which is very close to same weight as the 19, with an Audi Q5 at 4400 lb. tow capacity.  that is absolute lowest I would go.  Being able to stop quickly is not something you want to be excessively worried about. 

Times the antilock breaks have kicked in on dry pavement without the boat 0, times with the boat TOO MANY!

And the Q5 has some massive disks and calipers behind the wheels.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Reighnman

the 19 is one heavy girl for her size. Couple miles shouldn't be an issue but remember the ramp angle, and is it going in a driveway or on soft ground/gravel? They also better make sure to get it well balanced on the trailer. Nothing like a boat hanging off a trailer with zero tongue weight to really make things interesting.  My F150 had plenty of capacity but that boat reminded me she was there at fast stops, and trying to accelerate onto the highway.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

jim1440

I tow our C19 (with a tongue extension)with a Toyota 4Runner. We trailer sail and she tows like a charm to all of our destinations.

Jim
C19/3 Belle Eire
--------------------------------------------
Belle Eire - CP 19/3 #494
Coniston - CP Picnic Cat #184

MacGyver

I have a little different viewpoint maybe from the rest.
I do recommend a tow vehicle that is higher than that of ones needs, but I can say from my weighing of my 19 that it will total out to be about 2800 to 3K tops.
The boat weighed in at 1980lbs, the trailer was about 490lbs, mast and gear i think rounded about another 100lbs, I added my cooler and such..... so you can see where the numbers come from.

I bet the neighbor thought it was weird my buddy and I setting the mast upright on a bathroom scale in my driveway, good times......... and maybe some insanity.

Anyway, I am sure that vehicle will tow it fine, why? well, the key to towing is control, 55 mph, correct balance, and you are good to go. Behind my Ranger, sure I felt it, it had a tow rating of 6K mechanically, 5K in the books, but I towed higher a few times with no issues. My Silverado does a great job, 7800K tow, no issues with the boat.

My friend towed it with his escape, 3500K tow, went well and no issues.

Many folks want to drive 75 to 80, nothing wrong with that but just need to be ready......

Everything that we do in life we can be overly prepared and it will always feel more comfortable, but it is each individuals comfort level we are achieving, so if it is comfortable to tow it since the ratings are there, I would go for it.

Just my opinion,

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Ken J

Sorry if this is off topic - how much did the mast weigh - curious

Damsel19

I have towed alot behind a jeep Cherokee with out issue.  The biggest thing is the windage, making her settle in at abouf 60 mph on the highway. For local towing, not an issue. We towed her several hundred miles last summer be hind a 3.7 litre Jeep liberty. The liberty has a wider and longer wheel base. It is also heavier. The tow was no issue.  We ran about 72 mph on the highway. Just fast enough to keep traffic from freaking out. I also tow her locally with a Mazda Tribute.
We carry a 36 inch tongue extention for those ramps that need it.
Locally i just lay the mast back and leave the out board on the transom. For ramps with in about 8  to 10 miles.
Longer tows i slide the mast forward on the pulpit, put the out board all the way forward in the v berth, and pack all the sails and gear on the v berth.
The added tongue weight makes higher speed towing smoother.

As for 2 wheel drive on a ramp. (both my jeeps are 2wd) I was reminded of a method we used to use in the snow: pull up on the parking brake, this has the same effect as a limited slip differential and will keep one wheel from spinning. Low gear. Easy on the gas. Creep.
4wd is nice if you have it but not a deal breaker. If your shopping vehicles anyway, then upgrade a little. But consider you have to live with the bigger truck if its your daily driver. So maybe not a 3500 quad cab duelly...

Fourwinds

I previously towed an Aquarius 21 W a Town and Country mini van. Worked well except for how far back I had to get to launch. Also traction was an issue at some ramps. Now towing the C19, which isn't about the same combined weight, and w an awd 2014 Grand Cherokee and it's no prob at all.
ComPac 19
Hull 118
Honda 2.3

brackish

Tow rating is only half the equation, you should also consider gross combined or GCWR which is the tow rating added to the vehicle curb weight, and load capacity.  For instance the gross combined rating for my 2007 Tacoma is 11,100.  I estimate my 23 tow to be about 4600-4800 although i've never weighed it.  Vehicle curb weight is about 4100.  Driver, couple of passengers, luggage and stuff probably another 5-600.  So I could be up to about 9200-9500.  I can assure you that is the closest to gross combined I ever want to get.  While I've never had the anti locks come on without a tow regardless of weather, they came on regularly during a rainy tow in FL.  A little frightening.

So if your friends plan is to pack that Honda with all it will hold, might be better to consider gross combined.  And personally, I think most unibody vehicles are overrated.