Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What's under the blue carpet?

Started by captainh, November 27, 2018, 12:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captainh

Hi everyone,
I am currently looking at a CP 19 mk2 in overall good condition. Owner did some FB repair at the deck/hull junction after damage from rubbing against a slip during storm, but looks solid. However, when I walk on the blue carpet towards the compression post, I feel some cracking loose part underneath. After reading some posts on this forum, I understand that, under the carpet, there is a layer of fiberglass on top of cement. Is that correct? In that case the loose part could be some broken/delaminated fiberglass? Any info would be helpful.

Cheers.

crazycarl

It could be just a bow in the fiberglass, as is mine.  Nothing structural.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Salty19

Yep, agree it's probably just a bow or an area where some air was trapped after the glass was laid down and before the concrete dried. 

Indeed, the factory does place a layer of glass over the keel and it's not a totally flat, even floor.

Mine seemed a little "crunchy" until I removed all the carpet to replace it.  The crunching sound was mostly just accumulated dirt/sediment grinding against the fiberglass keel liner.

Now on our 16 that area had degraded and broken up due to frost heaving (cycles of freeze/thaw) and made a crackling sound and we felt some movement underneath (minor, but still..).  I guessed the expanding frozen keel from water accumulation had broken the fiberglass over the years. It didn't really affect anything--the keel was bone dry at the time and it was not worth it to me to try to rebuild it.

If you suspect there may be some moisture issues (moldy smell, dampness, misscolored wood along the floor) they may have caused the issue.  If you think the boat was overall dry, it's probably just a bow or trapped air. 

If the boat is overall solid, don't worry about one thing wrong. It can be re-glassed if needed.   Finding a nearby, good condition CP19 is not something to think about too long.  They sell fast so jump on it all else checks out.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

captainh

Thank you for the information and I think it might well be the same situation than you had on your CP16. Perhaps due to moisture. The first time I saw the boat there was a moldy smell inside. However the boat was dry with no sign of water. I am thinking more of a ventilation issue. The second time I checked the boat after a day of strong rain, no smell but I noticed a little bit of water on top of inside cushion and some area of the carpet were moist. But nothing too bad. I believe most old boat will have some moisture after a strong rain. Might have to reseal the hardware.
I have also a concern with the rub rail. It looks like water can be trapped inside since the rail is not sealed to the deck and hull. Anyone had leak issue from the joint?

Cheers

Finbar Beagle

Captainh,

Did you get to try the bilge pump?  My 19 is very dry, but when I bought her she had sat on hard for 2 seasons.  I pumped a lot of water out, and luckily no issues.

My boat has several access points to inspect the hull.  Under the companionway step there should be a pull out section with the blue carpet attached, that you should be able to remove.  It is good to inspect as this is where the bilge pump intake is.  My previous owner, cut a few inspection/access hole in the v- berth and other berths.  It would be good to check under the cushions, to see if you have any. I would not recommend adding these, but since I have them, it is useful to check for mold and trapped water from rain.

Best if luck with your 19, still in love with mine...

Regards,
Brian

Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

Finbar Beagle

Captainh,

I forgot my manners.  Welcome aboard, great crew at this site.  Where do you sail?

If needed, I live not far from NJ Bob, and can assist in collection of the initiation fee, if needed.

Regards,
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ