a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Member approved paint

Started by Potcake boy, September 26, 2018, 10:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Potcake boy

Just thought I'd provide a short review for those needing to paint their interior. Wanted to refresh the interior which would include new paint for the areas of exposed hull. Came from the factory with a kinda white color, but was looking pretty shabby and wouldn't clean. I had seen Rust-Oleum topside paint in Lowes, and was curious how this maker of what I have always considered to be quality paint would fare in the marine community. I bought a quart of white ($17.00) and proceeded with minimal preparation (cleaning and a little sanding) to apply it with a brush. I was quite impressed. The paint covered the old white with one coat, and had very good flow characteristics. It dried in a short time with the aid of fans, and provided a good hard finish. I have a feeling it will also provide a very nice exterior finish for the hull, but not sure if I'd use a brush or roller. I don't think the roll and tip technique would be needed as it is thick enough to not create bubbles, and as stated previously, it has very good flow so it should provide a smooth finish without brush or roller marks.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

NateD

I have used it for a number of projects on various boats, mostly painting wood/fiberglass pieces I've made. It is thick and dries hard. For the price and easy availability I like the stuff too. I haven't tried painting topsides with it yet either.

Bob23

Thanks mates!!!
  When I rebuilt my rudder blade, part of the project was to paint all the exposed metal surfaces of the blade, housing and gudgeons with Rustoleum spray paint in Bronze. Even in salt water, it lasted well...going on 5 or 6 years. But I did prime with zinc chromate primer after a thorough sanding and acetone wipe down.
  It's fun to find non-boat specific products that work...keeps the cost down!!

rogerschwake

Last winter painted my Sun Cats topsides with Rust-Oleum marine paint. Thinned it about 3 parts paint and 1 part thinner, rolled and tipped three coats using about 2/3 of a quart of paint. After painting sanded very lightly with 1200 grit sand paper and then buffed with some polish. The boat has a good shin, not as good as a sprayed on finish but good. For the price, $14 at Menards, its hard to beat.

ROGER

brackish

When I built my epoxy composite skiff, I sprang for Perfection Plus cat poly for the hull and the part of the deck exposed to UV.  I didn't have enough of the oyster to also do the bilges and storage areas of the boat, so rather than spend $75 on another quart, I used Rustoleum Marine in their version of Oyster.  Those areas take a beating from dropping junk into the storage compartments and washing down the bilge which can get full of sand sometimes.  And yet it has not chipped once, or lost its gloss.  I'm impressed with the stuff.