a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

port hole screens

Started by steve brown, February 21, 2007, 06:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve brown

My search for port hole screens to fit the 4" diameter Perko ports on my 1982 CP-19 has ended. I have modified a Nicro 4" insect screen, part no. N10954 to fit perfectly. Out of the package they are about 1/8" to 3/16" too large in diameter. Using some of my leather working tools, I cut them down to fit snug. Procedure: Turn the screen face up so you are looking at the thin bonding ring that hols the screen in place. You see the screen project out beyond this ring. With a sharp hobby knife you cut off the 1/8" projection at the outside of the bonding ring and down about 3/16". I used a leather stripping tool to cut this first followed by cutting off the 1/8: lip with a hobby knife. I then finished off the remaining edge in the middle of the outside ring with a sanding drum on my dremel tool. go at this carefully, checking for a proper fit. I then cut down the small tab just so it clears the port hole gasket allowing the port to seal shut.  Regards, Steve

Craig Weis

Well heck. I ordered the four 4" screens from Com-Pac. They came pronto, soldered and had a snap ring to hold them into the port hole. The 4" port has a groove milled into it for these snap rings. Additionally these screens have a small 'BB' like knob for easy handling with thick fat fingers like mine! LOL. skip

steve brown

Skip, I was not aware that Com-pac had round screens for the port holes. Their parts list doesn't list them. Do you have the new or old style ports? Mine close with just one wing nut. I think that I have seen screens advertised for the newer ports that have two dogs. Congratulations on your acquisition. Steve

Craig Weis

Only one wing nut/dog on the 'ports' of your boat hey??? That poses a problem me thinks. My C-P 19 has two and they all are 4" dia same as yours... and I found these excat one in the WestMarine Catolog. I was thinking about adding an other port just foward of the mast on the cabin slope. I think that would be way cool. She sits at anchor nose to the wind. That open foward hatch snags a lot of lines and bugs. And can let in too much air on Wisconsin's cool nights.
Steve and all other's looking for port screens...
Com-Pac Yachts
Hutchins Company, Inc.
1195 Kapp Drive, Clearwater, Fl 34625
Ph 1-813-443-4408   Fx 1-813-443-1088   E~Mail gerry945@gate.net
Internet:   http://www.boatshow.com/Com-Pac.html
Suggested Retail Price List
October 1998
All Prices subject to Change Without Notice
All Prices in US Dollars FOB Clearwater, Florida, USA
OK Item #13, PORT SCREENS~ 4" Round, Each~19XL $15.00

Skippy here has nine [9] pages of price lists from various years and each price list has items that appear in different orders. But if one looks he'll see just about every part of every Com-Pac boat made 'cept for the Raven and the newer catboats and the replacements for the 19XL, [The Eclipse SL] and 16 [The Legacy] fleets. If I knew how to get more space I up load these on for viewing. Otherwise Maybe I can e-mail after I scan them on request...skip
owlsnest34@hotmail.com[/color]

jimyoung

Skip,

I would LOVE to get my hands on a copy of this entire 9 page list!

jryoung29@earthlink.net     or      young_associates@earthlink.net

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Craig Weis

Jim if e~mail fails to work, I disabled MSN's OUTLOOK EXPRESS 'cause I don't like it,
send me an e~mail at owlsnest34@hotmail.com include a mailing address.

jimyoung

Skip,

I hope my e-mail got thru to you,  I also don't care for outlook express but do use the full version outlook but have cleared your address through the spam blocker, so it should be no different on your end than any other e-mail.

Thanks for all the extra effort.  I am in the process of a rather extensive re-fit just now and it would be nice to reference prices.

The HUGE marine flea market down here is comming up soon and I am making my wish list of things I hope to find.

mike gartland

While we're on the subject of screens, does anyone know of a source for a screen for the square (12 x 12" +/-) forward (coach roof) hatch on a 1989 23/3?  I would love to keep it open for ventilation but the skeeters would drain me of blood overnight.

Thanks

Mike
Mike23

Craig Weis

This HUGE marine garage sale, is this the one that Chris Caswell wrote about in SAIL a few months back? Sounds like a must stop or better yet a 'drive too' destination down if Florida. I should have your e-mail so I can send off the sheets of spare parts, that may be of assistance at the sale too. Gotta hurry.
Come to think of it with this modify option on posts I could type ??? LOL the sheets over the next couple of days. Hey great idea skippy. Capital idea O'Man, cheers. skip,

jimyoung

Skip,

You must be quite the typist!  Nine pages in only "a couple of days"  it would take me at least a week pecking away at this keyboard.

I didn't catch the article in Sail so I don't know if it is the same one but it is a pretty good show. I've been going for several years now and have found it best to go on the first (to get the "steals") and last (to get the "just want to get rid if it" bargins) days.

Later,
Jim

steve brown

Mike, Check out Trailer Sailor. I bought a hatch screen from them. It slips over the open hatch and has a weighted hem to hold it in place. They also have a screen for the cabin entry hatch and will make custom sizes. Steve