a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Gybe

Started by mike pru, October 22, 2019, 07:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike pru

Just wondering if anyone gybes their HC/HDC?  I've done it a few times this summer, and it almost seems like even in 10 mph it might need 2 people to smoothly do it. 

Thanks

PJ

Twice unintended sailing in heavier seas in Pensacola Bay.  Second time was able to grab sheet just under boom and manage the violence.  New meaning to the phrase "duck, duck, boom!)
s/v Good Tidings

Aldebaran_III

Anything above about 12 knots and I would rather wear ship (go up to wind,tack, bear away) rather than gybe.
With our local gusty, shifty conditions the long boom makes me a bit careful downwind. If I do gybe, I first check behind for approaching gusts, then haul the boom in quite close to the quarter, gybe with minimum alteration of course, then run the boom out as soon as the gybe is complete.
I tend to avoid sailing dead down wind when it's stronger, so that sudden wind shifts don't force a gybe. I prefer to zigzag down wind with a series of very broad reaches. The increased speed tends to compensate for the longer distance sailed.

Cheers, Derek

Greg

Round these parts we call that a chicken gybe. :)
That's what I do if the wind is anything over 9 or 10 kts.
SV Blue Sky, Catalina 34 MKII
SV Sun King, Beneteau First 285
SV In Balance, Catalina 25
SV Puppy, Catalina 22 (my, at the time, toddler son named it)

Bob23

On my 23, I don't mind an intentional gybe now and then just to keep things interesting. Downwind, I'll sail wing on wing using a whisker pole for the job. I've rigged a Rube Goldberg type of preventer for the mainsail using some small blocks and line I had lying around. I don't care for unintentional gybes at all, nasty things...good way to break things.
Bob23

blighhigh

When I had my Horizon Cat I rigged a boom brake by running a line from the shrouds to the boom via a figure 8 descender. Worked fine and kept me out of trouble.

Joe

In light to moderate air, yes, when the situation mandates, but I ease into it very slowly, and with the main sheet brought way in and I will also actually try to hold the main sheet in my hand to mitigate the crash effect. In heavy air, not really, chicken jibe for me. Jibing in these boats is always a little clunky no matter what but it's probably more disturbing to my passengers than me, because they instinctively think "something went wrong." I also try not to sail close to dead downwind because you can jibe in an instant, either in a following sea or with a little wind or an unintended course shift. Full accidental jibes are obviously very unpleasant on a small boat with a large boom.

I didn't know you can rig a boom brake on these boats. I wonder if you have a picture or can describe that a little more.

blighhigh

i do have one picture but it really doesn't show enough details.   what i did was install a boom bail about i/3 distance from the mast.  the top part of the figure8 descender fits into the boom bail.  i tied off a 3/8 line on the base of the starboard shroud base  the line went through the bottom ring; around the top ring; back through the bottom ring (this is the crucial determination whether you start the  line going aft then forward or the reverse.   It has been a few years and I don't remember but it is easily tested for resistance) After leaving the descender the line went to a turning block on the port shroud base and back to the aft cabin top to a cleat   the tension on the line can be adjusted to allow
for an easy swing of the boom depending on the wind speeds  If you google figure 8 descenders you can see them with the line passing around and through.  the device is cheap and used in rock and mountain climbing.

Joe

Interesting. Do you find yourself making adjustments frequently? If it's heavier air should there be more slack or less slack in the line? I'd figure you'd want more slack. I wonder if you could use on of the two pre-existing jam cleats to run the line through to the cockpit. I don't touch the forestay line much anyway.

Tim Gardner

Joe, the heavier the air the tighter the descender line should be.  This puts more friction into the loop around the neck of the descender.  This system also acts as a Vang.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Joe

Yes that's what I meant, thinking of it in terms of more lines piling up in the cockpit. Interesting concept. I've seen the preventers/brakes before but did not think of securing them to the shroud area.