a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

One Season in, comments and questions about Sun Cat

Started by Jim in TC, October 07, 2018, 11:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim in TC

We launched our (new to us) 2006 Sun Cat in late May, staying in a transient slip a couple weeks at a time throughout the summer and early fall (and watching the weather for another opportunity). Here are some observations and questions:

1.   As we have read elsewhere in these pages, a very forgiving and stable craft with, for her length, decent speed, for her design reasonably weatherly, and for her size a big "feel."
2.   I have more experience with a sloop rig than a cat, but my sense is that the Sun, and perhaps the cat rig in general, tends to run a little bow-heavy. Especially (though not exclusively) when running fast downwind, I felt like we might be "plowing" just a bit. Is this my imagination?
3.   With the Sun in a slip more often than on a trailer, I started to wonder whether it was easier on the hardware to leave the center board up or down. My current thinking is that down is the best option (we are in fresh water, in case that matters) based on the idea gleaned here that it is easier on the hardware to release the centerboard when on a trailer.
4.   There was a bit of a learning curve on setup, hardware and rigging. We acquired the boat with the mast, boom and gaff removed and got little advice from the previous owner, who had the boat in storage for some years and simply did not remember all the details (nor have all the hardware). We were able to use a promotional drawing for basic setup and rigging but there were some real hardware issues that did not resolve until I had new parts in hand (see some discussion here: http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=10938.0   What I would like to have found is a rigging and hardware guide with photos or details of critical bits (goosenecks, for example, and mast hinge setup). All is well now, and maybe it was all a good learning experience...
5.   Over all, a great first season of sailing and messing with the boat (including chasing small drips around several bits added without the benefit of caulk).
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Jim in TC

And One More Thing:
We used a Torqueedo 1003 as an auxiliary, and found it to be a great little motor. Only one time were we out just a little too far for comfort when the wind died (my passenger, when I asked if he thought we were more than 3 miles from the marina - the display offered estimated range with our remaining 40% of charge - asked if there was a paddle aboard...the wind popped back up and we arrived with almost 20% remaining). It performed well in big wind, when we had to fight wind and waves to head up for dropping sail, and quietly got us all around the marina and back to our slip on windless days.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Jon898

Jim:

Couple of remarks:

re #2:  Even though she feels "big" she's still going to be sensitive to trim from human ballast.  Adjust the "ballast" so the transom is just kissing the water - you'll move aft on a run and forward on anything closer than a close reach.

re #3:  The idea behind releasing the centerboard while trailing is to avoid the shock loads on the pennant and associated hardware from hitting bumps in the road.  IMHO, if you're in the water, loads on the gear are minimal; the key issue here would be corrosion and pennant rot.  Leave it all down and you're exposing more surface of the board to corrosion (stray electric current effects?) and fouling/growth, and the pennant is more exposed and kept wet.  I'd leave it up.  The only exception would be if the slip is exposed to significant wave/wake action and you'd be more comfortable with the stabilizing effect of the board being down.

Jon

Jim in TC

Thanks for the comments, Jon.
We have definitely noticed the effect of where (and how many) folks are. I probably should be more proactive in shifting weight around the cockpit and will try more of that next time out. We did top out at 6 adults - some, um, hefty - on one occasion (knowingly overloaded) and there was little option for shifting (cockpit and cabin pretty much full) and we were very low in the water. Low enough that the cockpit would not drain effectively...

I can see the advantages of centerboard up that you point out. Our first impulse actually was up, which was our practice most of the summer. I think I am talked back into CB up at the slip. The marina is well protected from almost any wind/waves and I am not sure if there was a lot of stabilizing to do that I would be comfortable with the CB kinda banging around underneath.

Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

bruce

I agree with Jon on the CB.

Catboats are beamy and short, fine entry is not an attribute often heard. As Jon says, weight distribution is important, dragging the stern can be as inefficient as burying the bow. Sailing flat and on her lines will be the fastest. In general, keeping the weight in the center of the boat allows the ends to lift as waves pass. With 6 in the cockpit, I would guess you're down in the stern.

I just reviewed Bill Welch's book, and on a run he recommends shifting weight to windward, even the point of inducing a heel to windward to get the center of effort over the boat, and forward to induce some leeward helm from the bow wave, to counter the increased weather helm. This also rakes the mast forward, bringing the center of effort forward of the center of lateral resistance, increasing lead and leeward helm. As winds increase, he pulls the crew (his wife) off the bow and more to the windward rail. May help with marital relations more than boat trim!

Congratulations on your first season with the Sun Cat. You had some significant issues with how your boat was set up, not easy to work through on a new boat.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Andre

With the boat stored in the water, I also think board up is the way to go.  In addition to reasons already cited, I would think that the (admittedly small) back and forth centerboard movement due to wave action might cause some wear on the cb pivot. Probably not immediately, but after months or years who knows? And who wants that?

Andre

Roland of Macatawa

Hi, Jim:

I would have enjoyed seeing your SunCat when we were in Traverse City this past summer.
My wife and I were camping for a week at the State Park, but without my new-to-me SunDayCat.
If you ever get south along Lake Michigan towards Lake Macatawa, would be pleased to meet you.

I too am at the conclusion of my first season, late May into early October.

Regards, Roland
2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

Jim in TC

Hey, Roland, we were (if in the water at the time you were here) just down the street at the marina downtown (only transient slips were available). We have no real ability to tow our Sun any distance and by water Lake Macatawa (my old childhood haunt) is a long way off...but if we are passing by car some summer day I would like to see your Sunday.

Our first choice would have been a Sunday, since we are so far only daysailing anyway, and that is pretty likely to continue. Those are hard to come by!

Congrats on your first season. We remain hopeful, against all odds, of a bit of good sailing yet this season.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel