a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

4 day gunk holing on Lake Champlain

Started by patfurr, September 19, 2018, 04:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patfurr

My sister Kat (name fits wouldn't you say?) and I  spent  four glorious days over Labor Day weekend in as good as it gets sailing conditions from Converse Bay, Charlotte, VT to Coates Island in Malletts Bay.  We had great SSW winds the entire time, blowing 12-15 knots and at times building up well over 20.  Spent the first night on the hook on the south side of Quaker Smith Point while all the big (deep draft) boats took harbor on the north side.  That's the beauty of the Sun Cat.  We can tuck in shallow and close where others just can't go.  The stewards of Quaker Smith Point built a stone and concrete pier that juts out just far enough to provide a cozy breakwater for one or two smaller boats, but we had it all to ourselves.  Not ten minutes after setting anchor we had a bald eagle snatch a fish dinner up less than 50' off our bow.  Juicy steaks and salad for dinner, along with one or two very tasty local brews.  Kat slept in the cabin but I took advantage of the beautiful clear evening and slept under the stars. The next morning we set off for Burlington to meet some old childhood friends for a day sail.  But we had plenty of time so we headed out and split the Four Brothers marveling at the sheer number of non-native Cormorants that are populating those islands.  Thousands of them and they are denuding the vegetation of so many islands with their guano.  After picking up our friends, How and Penni, in Burlington, the four of us set off to go out and around Juniper island, and then up into Shelburne Bay a ways, before heading back to have dinner in town on Church Street.  A nice walk back to our slip for a good night sleep.  Next morning we got up and took advantage of the Burlington Community Boathouse coin-op showers and made a great breakfast.  Another sister Marybeth and How's brother Dan met us for another great day sail out around juniper and Rock Dunder, then over to Appletree Bay where we all grew up.  It was such fun to be out on the broad lake in good winds with some good rollers on such a stable and loveable boat as Impulse III.  As we were driving up and over the 3' rollers it brought back memories of the wild rides I've had as a boy out in similar conditions on my Dad's Lightning and later on my 420.  Those were some great times, but I would put this weekends trip at the top of the pile.  After dropping friend and sister off in Burlington, Kat and I headed north to check out an anchorage I had my eye on, on the North end of Stave Island.  What a great sail going up on two long broad reaches with the sail still reefed after setting it on the second morning.  We sailed into the protection of that little bay and saw that there were three or four sailboats already moored, but it looked like there was a spot for us deep into the SE corner.  We motored in and checked the bottom through six feet of crystal clear water and I spotted a good patch of mud that was perfectly placed amongst the otherwise rocky bottom.  My Mantus 13# gem hooked up solid and we set our scope to keep us clear of the others and the shallows and cracked open yet a couple more local brews.  The beautiful wooden boat, a Yankee One Design "Westward Ho" which was moored next to us turned out to be an old HS ski teammate of mine.  We hadn't seen each other in over 40 years,  we chatted but never made the connection who each of us were until the following week.  Goes to show you need to behave yourself.  Pork loin, corn on the cob, pasta salad and more beer for dinner followed by another sleep at the starlight hotel.  Got up early, went for a nice swim, perked up some coffee, chatted with Dan who I didn't know was Dan yet, and had another great breakfast.  We struck the reef, raised the sail, pulled anchor and set off to the cut in the Colchester Causeway on a single beam reach and then turned slightly south upon entering outer Malletts Bay and had a great sail in good wind and light chop.  We got into the inner bay just as a fleet of Solings were finishing one of several races.  We tacked around staying clear of their course and watched their next race much to our delight.  Finally, all wonderful adventures must come to an end.  We reluctantly turned towards Coates Island where my brother in-law was scheduled to meet us with the trailer.  In all four days of sailing in brisk winds at times in excess of 20 knots, with good 3-4 foot rollers and whitecaps, our little Sun Cat was in her glory.  Never once did she twitch, and I sensed her smile knowing that as she was enjoying the freedom to glide up and over the waves literally frolicking, she also knew that she was keeping her crew safe and secure.  What a great little boat.  My brother in law says she doesn't know she is a little boat.  Here is to times like these.  Yet another local brew sounds just about right. 
Impulse III

PJ

Great write up, I really enjoy reading posts like that one!  Thanks.
s/v Good Tidings

crazycarl

i second what PJ wrote.

lake champlain is on "the list"!
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Reighnman

Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

patfurr

Just a few more pics of our trip 
Impulse III