a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Wanted Horizon Cat Trailer

Started by PJ, August 30, 2018, 10:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJ

I may have found a Horizon Cat, but it will need a trailer.  I am working arrangements to go see the boat next week, if all works out and I purchase, I will need a trailer setup for the Horizon Cat.  I already spoke to Gerry at Hutchins (he is awesome to work with in my several calls with him) and will probably purchase a new one from Com-Pac.  They are on a three week build cycle for one.

On the outside chance someone in Florida, Georgia, Tennessee,  or Alabama has one in great shape for sale please send me a note this week.

Thanks.
s/v Good Tidings

CaptRon28

My opinion - brakes on all 4 wheels, preferably disc if you'll ever be in salt water, the tiny 10 inch wheels and tires scare me somewhat - and you can't get a disc rotor and caliper behind them. I went to 13's. I'd look at the tongue weight too - you want about 10 percent of the load on the tongue That's about 420 pounds considering the weight of diesel boat and trailer. I wound up moving the axles a few inches back to get if over 400.

Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

PJ

Thanks Capt Ron.  I spoke with Gerry at Com-Pac, the new trailers come with 13 inch wheels, and disc brakes so clearly they are listening to their customers.  Do you happen to know who they use to build the trailers?  Is it Magic Tilt?
s/v Good Tidings

CaptRon28

Mine's a Magic Tilt. Pretty good trailer for about 9 years old. But back then it had the tiny wheels with tiny drum brakes. That caused me some grief in one trip from FL to NJ. Gerry is OK - he knows what he's doing.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

PJ

Cancel the current need for a trailer.  The Horizon Cat in Ft. Myers was a disaster.  Walked away.... no RAN away ... from that one needing an entire interior rebuild, diesel pulled and remounted to align shaft.  Unfortunate as I invested close to $450 in a flight down and rental car to buy it.  Thankfully, have family there and had an upside with a three day visit.
s/v Good Tidings

Tom L.

PJ, I think that was the H-Cat I looked at two years ago. It was at orange beach at that time and I believe the owner was going to move the boat down to Southwestern Florida. It didn't have a trailer either.
My early conversations with the P.O was that the windows had been open for ventilation with a canvas cover that had some how failed and water had in his word ruined the floor. I thought that's not too bad but with additional conversations I discovered the cushions and nearly all the wood work had been destroyed and the floor was not just de-laminated but completely gone. Sorry you didn't find the right boat keep looking. These cat boats are worth the effort.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

PJ

Yes, it was the same one,  Once I saw that diesel  had to be pulled, I knew it was beyond what I wanted to get involved in.  Did you get any bites on the Menger?  Wish I could buy it but not the layout  in the cabin that would work for us.
s/v Good Tidings

Tom L.

Yes one very interested party but he wants to sell his existing boat first. It's a Caledonia yawl. I think I spelled that right but its a nice boat but will need to find the right buyer.
My market is really the North East but winter is approaching and potential buyers probably aren't looking right now. I would have no issue delivering the boat it trails like a dream.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat