a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Simplest jib sheet hang-up cure yet

Started by slode, August 27, 2018, 10:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slode

Like everyone else I've been fighting the jib sheets hanging up on various pins and the boomvang stub on my mast when tacking.  I realized while out last weekend that a simple answer was right in front of my face all along.  Run the jib sheet around the back side of the cleat just above the mast hinge (where you cleat the other end of it for mast raising) and forward to the bow cleat.   This is similar to other suggestions of running a line just above the hinge forward, but doesn't require any extra lines or hardware, and takes less than 10 seconds to rig.   
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

slode

I just realized I said run Jib sheet instead of Halyard around back of mast cleat.  Sorry for any confusion.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Vectordirector

Hi,

Clever idea.  I think it is officially the spinnaker halyard.  I've found that letting the jib backwind a bit before releasing the sheet seems to minimize the problem while also minimizing the chance of getting caught in irons.  YMMV

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Airtime

Hi there,

Been meaning to share this with the group (see pic below, I hope it shows). I made it with a sailrite sewing machine, webbing and velcro. Just slide it on the post and attach Velcro at top and bottom, been working great but am going to make some slight mods in the future.

alsantini

I like that.  Simple and effective.  Number 75.  What year Eclipse is that and where does she sail?  Does anyone know what number CP is up to?  My 2007 is #49
Had a great day of sailing yesterday in 10 mph steady winds, clear sky, low humidity.  I had 3 boyhood friends along and we enjoyed ourselves.  Just have another 3 weeks and then Off the Wind must come out of the water and get ready for the trip to Florida - end of the month (Oct).  I have some maintenance issues that need attention, not the least of which is teak and gelcoat oriented.  Bought a new can of Semco and a large bottle of 3 M cleaner wax.  I also have a few mold pops that need to be repaired.  Have to keep the boat up since she has been neglected this past year.

Airtime

Thanks Al. It's been working like a charm but the lines snagged once because it wasn't tight enough at the Velcro attachments. I'm going to add a little rod or something to keep the webbing straight near the post. We made some other little things that are helpful as well. Right now we are in Leesville, LA coming from Newport News, VA  and have been sailing up at Sam Rayburn lake which is just across the border in Texas, great place and good size lake. I'm not sure how many Eclipses there are now but ours is 2015 and we love it. Have fun over there in FL and say hi to Gerry from me.  - Rob