a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

depth sounder

Started by AFM, March 23, 2019, 11:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFM

Some of the fun areas to sail nearby are shallow.  I am thinking of installing a simple depth sounder
a Faria ($140) in-board.   Anyone done the inboard install... What fluid was used in the transducer pod?
thx
Art     

marc

Not an answer to your question but here is what I did when I owned hull 610. On the board that the compass is mounted on I had a mount for a Garmin Montana chartplotter. I had the chartplotter hard wired to the house battery. I found that the depth data on the chartplotter to be dependable and was able to navigate around rocky areas with peace of mind. When I buttoned up the boat for the night I just left the board on the berth. I have photos of the mount as well as 92 other photos of hull 610 here:
http://s1062.photobucket.com/user/sail19/media/Boat%20for%20Sale%20Photos/P7110062_zpsvckrqwzl.jpg.html?sort=6&o=0
Marc

AFM

Marc,
I appreciate your comments and the pictures are a big help with putting the boat together .  I hope to pull the cover in two weeks or less.  I will check out the
Garmin unit you mentioned.
I may not need a depth sounder, after all. 
Did you every consider a Bimini ??  I realize the boat is a bit small for one, but some 19's do show a Bimini installed (anything to get more out of the sun).
so the only things I would possibly add are cockpit cushions,  and a bimini ?????
Thx.
Art,    Mystic, CT   

marc

I decided a bimini would crowd me too much. Just before I sold the boat I bought a Magma Cockpit Umbrella.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/magma--cockpit-umbrella-pacific-blue--15038581?recordNum=3

I never used it, but looked it over before I returned it (since I was selling the boat). I thought it was well made and could be adequately secured. It would have worked for my sailing that consisted of long tacks usually lasting about 1/2 hour or so. Not sure how easy it would be to reposition if you wanted to take short tacks and stay in the shade. On the other hand, the actual umbrella was large enough so that I think it would have provided shade on either tack at midday if you positioned it right.
Marc

AFM

Marc,  I will check it out ,  thx.   Art

patclem

I'm late to the game, but... I bought a Faria in-hull off Amazon for mine. The transducer is mounted just forward of the mast "support pole" - whatever the name for that thing is. On mine someone had to cut through about a foot of dense foam to install the first one. The Faria has a "cup" you glue to the outside of the hull, fill it with mineral oil, and the actual transducer sits on top of the cup.  Pretty ingenious.  Works well. Just don't lose the o-ring that seals the connection between the cup and the transducer or the oil could (will) splash out.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001EYFN2Q/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_SAMPCb2C782Y3

PJ

I just tested our Dragonfly 5 on our Horizon Cat.  I used electrical/ conduit putty purchased at Lowe's for $3.85 per stick.  It took 3 sticks as the transducer is about 8 inches long.  I pressed the transducer into the bottom stick which I located on hull floor about 5 inches to the side of keel.  I took the 2 additional sticks and surrounded the transducer on top and sides and connected to bottom putty so it was completely encased.  The depth and temperature where accurate to the Pensacola charts/tide tables, and to water temp from noaa weather.  Works wonderful and was told electrical putty does not harden, it stays like silly putty.  Highly recommend and easy to move in the future to a new boat?.
s/v Good Tidings

AFM

Thanks for the additional feed -back on the depth sounder issue.  I did buy a Faria DS at the big
Defenders sale last week.  The electrical putty is interesting... would allow moving it to optimum
location once in the water.
Art,    #610