a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Honda 2.3

Started by PJ, August 22, 2018, 10:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJ

Has any one  ever tried a Honda 2.3hp on a Horizon  Cat?  I know it is well underpowered  for approximately   3000 pounds, but a HC I am looking to possibly  purchase may need repower, and I happen to have a new Honda 2.3 that I use on my SageCat 15.  I have seen video from a guy in UK testing on both  an 18 and 23 foot old heavy sailboat.  In one video he is pushing the  23 foot by a dinghy acting like a tug with success.  He claims  speed of around 4 knots (2.5 over land and against 1.7 current and wind).  I know currents of 3 knots will be the show  stopper,  but primary use will be little to no current freshwater  85 mile Kentucky  Lake.

Looking for real life experiences  here even if on a different  type  sailboat at comparable  weight.
s/v Good Tidings

Andre

I have a Honda 2 which I originally got for my PC.  My HC came with a Lehr 5 which I have not used yet since it weighs twice as much and wouldn't do my back any good.  Since for now both boats are on a reservoir I have been using the Honda on the HC.  I use the motor primarily for docking, hoisting/reefing sail and anchoring, about 15 minutes per sail.  I have motored a couple of miles in relatively calm conditions and docked in winds of about 15.  There are no waves to speak of on the lake.  So I would say the Honda is adequate for lake use.  I always try to do as much as possible under sail anyway to enhance my skills.

On both the PC and HC (same motor mount) it was difficult to get the mount down to the lowest position due to the spring force.  So I cut 2 of the 8 springs off.  This worked great for the 30 lb Honda, I'll have to see how it impacts the 60 lb Lehr.

Andre

PJ

Thanks  Andre  exactly  the  type  information  I was looking  for.  Have you checked  maximum  speed with the Honda on the Horizon?
s/v Good Tidings

Andre

I have not, although it moves along pretty well in calm conditions. I don't think I've ever run the Honda at more than 2/3 throttle, motor's just too noisy.  It takes a little while to accelerate up to speed (maybe 20 sec) and I would guess around 4 mph at 1/2 throttle (just guessing). Also, even though I have a spare prop, I'm still using the original 10 year old whose leading edges have seen better days.  In my opinion it's all the motor you need in reasonably calm conditions with no current and if you're using it for short distance maneuvering and actually sailing most of the time.  I don't think one would make any progress bashing into anything more than a 15 wind, though.

Andre

Tom L.

PJ I got your Personal Message but I don't know how to reply. If you want you can send me a message to cruisewlincolns@aol.com with your e-mail and I will reply.

TomL
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat