a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer upgrade advice

Started by patclem, August 05, 2018, 09:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patclem

Folks, I finally launched my 19 yesterday. I let my girlfriend park the trailer, and in the process she bent my axle. And the tongue. I didn't like this crappy trailer to begin with so I want to take this as an 'opportunity' to do some upgrades. I'd appreciate some feedback.
Option 1 - upgrade to 3500 pound axles. Instantly more sturdy for interstate hauling to new water.
Option 2 - drop axles to add bigger tires. I think a 4" drop will give me a low trailer for launching but an opportunity for a more common tire size?
Option 3 - double axle? Keep same tire size, light weight axle, but double. If a tire went bad, I could keep going.
Option 4 - single axle, add brakes? My truck is an F250 and is equipped with brake controller. Might be handy at highway speeds?
Last thing I'm planning is a tongue extender so I can float the boat off easier. I had my back bumper in the lake, but luckily there's not much slime on the ramp.

Thanks in advance for any advice or experience doing such things.

I'll also say I understand this could be dangerous, this is the Internet, so I personally don't hold anyone accountable for bad advice.

Salty19

I upgraded my Performance brand trailer a few years back and would do it again. Rides so much better.  After blowing two tires and always stressing about stopping the trailer in traffic and backing too far in the water it made sense.

-Single 4,000 axle.  The trailer shop didn't think the trailer length would support 2 axles easily so I went with their advice.
-Hydraulic surge disk brakes (Kodiak brand)--Most boats use these rather than electric like on an RV as you won't want to rely on electronics that are dunked underwater long term.  No brake controller required, but you do have to wire up a reverse gear lockout wire to disengage the brakes while reversing.
-Large RV type Goodyear ST tires and aluminum rims.  Once you tow with these you'll never use those little 10" or 12" again!
-Extend-A-hitch 10' extension.   I stay high and dry, the rear wheels don't even get wet.

I don't think using the same size tire on a double axle would be a good idea. Sure, it will provide more load capacity but if you do lose a tire, the remaining one will have to hold MORE weight. Plus they ride like bricks compared to lower pressure, larger RV tires.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

patclem

I have the tongue off and the axle removed. Heading to the trailer parts place tomorrow to get the parts I need. Probably a 3500 pound drop axle. I'll probably get some pro feedback from them on how to buy a drop axle and the matching bigger tire. I'd still like to keep the trailer center of gravity low. I figure if I drop the axle 4" I'll have to put an 8" bigger diameter tire on it. I'll try to follow up here after. Thanks for the feedback!