a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Genoa sheet attachments

Started by mr.jadkowski, July 14, 2020, 10:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr.jadkowski

I'm looking for a better solution for securing the sheets for my 155% genoa sheets to the rear of the boat. My current solution is to loop the sheets around the aft cleats and run them back up to the normal jib cam cleats at the front of the cockpit.

These are the other options I've seen on the forum:

• Genoa tracks down the sides of the cockpit
  • Blocks attached to the rear cleats or somewhere near the rear cleats to run the genoa sheets forward to the jib cam cleats
  • Cam cleats somewhere near the rear of the boat

Am I missing any other good options? I'm looking for minimal work and investment, but also a solution that is more functional than my current setup. The sheets bind up horribly when running around the aft cleats and then running around the loop on the forward jib cam cleats, so tacking (and even trimming) is a pain in the ass.

JBC

Hi, No longer an active participant on this site, having sold my last ComPac 16 a few years ago, but I still lurk about regularly. Noticed no one responded to your query. Anyway, you could immediately improve your current solution by looping a 1/4 inch line through each of the aft cleats, with a small free running block attached to each loop. Feed the sheets as you already do, now through these blocks, back up to the current cleats. Still somewhat awkward, but the new aft blocks make it so much easier to control the genny sheets. Otherwise, install new tracks as you mentioned. Believe me (I've owned three 16s over the years), the simple solutions for this boat are the best. You don't need winches or complicated hardware even with the 155 on this thing! Just smooth running blocks and someway to cleat off the sheets.

Best of luck!

Jett

mr.jadkowski

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I did (on one side, to test it). It wasn't a huge improvement. It's slightly easier to sheet in, but when tacking it still requires me to hand-feed the line back out through the fairlead cam cleat because there is so much friction on the line bending around the fairlead. Maybe another block forward of the cam cleat attached to the chain plate would help things.

JBC

I do remember what you describe about having to feed the sheet sometimes when tacking on an older boat with the jenny. My last ComPac (16III) had the rails/cars set-up, which worked better, but even then, lots of friction still built up on the block/fairlead assembly in strong winds with the standard furling jib, forcing me to move sometimes closer to the block to lift the sheet out of the cam cleat while tacking. Did not have the 155 on that rig. Probably would have been even more difficult. Anyway, best of luck finding a better solution.