a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sail guides

Started by Southold, July 02, 2018, 07:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southold

Is there a simple way to replace a busted sail guide?

rogerschwake

Every bodies idea of easy is different. With the mast down remove the two 1/4" bolts with 7/16" wrenches. This will let you remove your sail guides. These guides degrade being in the sun so I would replace them all and save some down time.

ROGER

Southold

How do attach the guides to the sail?  It looks like you have cut and then sew it up again.

rogerschwake

This is how my sail is attached to the mast. These parts numbers are from Sailrite, that I have had real good service with. The slugs that ride in the mast are, Slug Nylon Round 3/8" part #23319. Connect the slugs to the sail with Screw on Plastic Shackles 1 1/8" part #103037. You should replace all your slugs so everything is in line and the same, order some extra, good thing to have on hand. 

Joseph

"Sassy" fully endorses Rogerschwake's very sound suggestion...

I've had to replace the slugs twice in five years. The trickiest part is the opening of the hinge at the mast... best thing is to have two wrenches: one for the pressure nut on the inside and another for the bolt head on the outside. Watch out for the washers! (there are two on each side and they do not float very well...).

On opening the hinge of the mast (I have to do it twice every year, since I remove the sail from the boat at the end of every season): The mast should be down and the electrical cable junctions disconnected. I have found very convenient to loosely attach the top pf the mast to the gallows and thus prevent it from sliding forward once the bolts at the hinge are removed. This can be annoying, particularly if it ends breaking the casing for the anchor-light... and you never know how much work will be required to fix or replace it... (https://thewakesileave.wordpress.com/2017/05/31/replacing-the-anchor-light-so-simple-and-yet/). I also use another thin line to prevent the base of the mast from reaching the deck (or beyond...) while the sail slugs are removed from the mast track at the base. 

Joseph.
"Sassy Gaffer" #365 (2010)
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

bruce

I like to stuff a rag down into the mast stub, to catch any fasteners that fall that way.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Southold

Thanks for all of these helpful tips.

Bilge Rat

Thanks for the lead on these sail slugs and shackles.  One of mine broke so I plan to replace all 4. Looks like there is a heavy duty shackle available. Do you all think it would fit and be worth it versus the non-heavy duty version?  https://www.sailrite.com/Heavy-Duty-Screw-On-Plastic-Shackle-1-1-8
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

rogerschwake

Thats a good question. I have never broken a shackle, boy I hate saying that, but for twenty five cent more each go all out. Order a couple extra also, it keeps you bussy trying to find them the next time one breaks. Get out there and sail, its the best way to get better.

ROGER