a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Waconia, MN

Started by slode, July 26, 2018, 08:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slode

Those in central Minnesota wouldn't think of Waconia as a big enough lake to enjoy sailing on for more than an afternoon.  I had the same impression until last weekend when the wife and I decided to head out for an overnight.  We put in around noon on Saturday and sailed the shore line clockwise, then counterclockwise.  We stopped at Lola's for an appetizer, and then took a shorter loop around the island in the middle of the lake.  Wind was out of the North at 5-10 so it wasn't a fast trip, but I was surprised by our 3rd loop the sun was starting to set and we were still having a wonderful time and not sick at all of the scenery.  The spectacular weather and sunset didn't hurt.

We anchored on the south side of the island and watched the stars for a while before hitting the hay.  Sunday morning was just as nice and we spent the first half of the day sailing around and checking out the other sailboats that were out before heading in around 1:00.

When we first got Sylvia I didn't intend to do more than day sailing on the lake, but I'm sure happy we have a close option when we want to spend a night out.  It's nice that you can park overnight at the ramp too.  None of the other Metro ramps on Minnetonka, White Bear, or the other bigger lakes allow overnight parking!
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41