a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hull Number

Started by gmerrill, September 21, 2018, 12:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

Al I think Gerry told me I was hull 80 plus. I'll look at serial number. Is it there?
Greg

Vectordirector

Mine is ABV18023xxxx and I am hull #23.  It is there after ABV, which I think is a code for the manufacturer.  I believe the Coast Guard is in charge of the hull ID program.  I'm sure there is someone here who is more well versed on the subject. 

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

23 seems more realistic that 80 since I am #49 and a 2007.
I guess they are still in the 80's building new ones.  It is amazing to me that there are so few Eclipses when it is such a great boat!  Perhaps now some of the Precision people will gravitate toward Com Pac since Precision is only for parts now - no more boats.  Too bad: I really enjoyed my P-21.  Had it for 13 years.  Just a real bear to step the mast, but a good sailing boat.

Vectordirector

It seems they built quite a few the first 5 years and then when the economy tanked, so did Eclipse and a lot of other boat production for at least 5 years.  Good luck finding anything on the used market produced between 2009 and 2014, it is a ghost land, power and sail. 

How's the weather up there?  Coming south soon Al?

Bryan
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

Weather good.  Been bike riding and sailing quite a bit.  We are hoping to be in Florida for a few weeks by Halloween.  I have an appointment with the Oncologist Nov. 9th so trip is planned around that.  Still planning on bringing the boat with and the Trike folded up in the cabin.  The Terra-Trike Traveler folds neatly into a package that will fit through the companionway, so I will not have to buy 2 trikes.  We will stay until around Thanksgiving and fly home for the holidays.  We have tickets back to FL for the 29th of Dec.

With the good weather, I have not thought much about heading South.  Today it is cool so thoughts changed.  Pulling boat end of the week or early the following week.  I have some maintenance issues to take care of prior to FL.  I have two out of town teaching assignments in Oct: one driving and one flying so need to get started on the gelcoat and teak.

Hope to see you in November.

Vectordirector

i always liked fall in Chicago.  Sailing Lake Geneva in September and October is as you know, perfect.  I miss it. 

Funny that you have a recumbent trike.  I was planning on getting a bike after I moved and started looking into cycling as I had been out of it once I moved to Chicago.  I did quite a bit of it in Kansas City, along with sailing my Hobie.  My interest turned to trikes and I went to a trike show in St. Charles in summer of 2014 and rode about 20 of them.  The first one that really impressed was the catrike expedittion and I loved it.  The waiting list was long and I decided to try and find a used one.   I found a moderately used one in Matlacha in early 2015 on craigslist and loaded it up in my jeep and brought it home.  It needed a tune up and new tires so I took it to the dealer in Venice and they fixed it up. 

I rode it a few times and kind of gave up on it.  I'm not wild about using pedal clips but it is necessary with this design.   I can't decide if I should keep it or sell it.  I just need to get motivated to get back on it. 

Enjoy the rest of your fall,

Bryan

2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

Very good.  I would never use clips on a normal bike.  The thought of falling over still clipped in is more than enough to prevent me.  But, I realized early on with a Trike you really need the power of pulling on the pedals not just pushing.  My Traveler came with heel straps.  Shortly after buying it and using it I decided to invest in clips and shoes.  The new pedals have the heel straps on one side and the clips on the other.  If I am riding to the Lodge I use the heel straps but the clips the rest of the time.  It really made all the difference.  I now can usually maintain speed on small hills and my ability to ride distance greatly improved.
This afternoon I plan on a 20 mile ride.  70 degrees, sunny and realtively light winds.  A top ten day, for sure.  Sailing tomorrow....  Best of both worlds.  Al