a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bimini Installation

Started by Jim in TC, June 17, 2018, 11:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim in TC

Our "new to us" 2006 Sun Cat came with a factory bimini that was never installed. The tracks are only hardware we got with the boat, though the 'eyes' for the strap hooks were installed (or at least there is hardware installed that works for the straps).

I screwed the tracks down with 2 (each) SS pan head sheet metal screws and they seemed to grip into good material. But it seems to me that the tracks should be secured more, um, effectively. I considered this a temporary installation, to check placement, and whether we liked it. We do, and I am wondering if it would be prudent to remove the tracks, add an adhesive sealant to the bottom, and maybe a 3rd screw in the middle to get it nice and tight for good adhesion. Or is this overkill?
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Floridagent

It seems to me that the center mounts of the two Bimini arches compresse against the rails due to the four tiedowns forward and aft.  So, there is little uplifting tension on the rails.  The Bimini on my Sunday Cat only has the two screws per rail and they seem to do the job.  You should seal around the screws in any event. 
"Cay Cat"     (say "keycat")

Zephyros

Very timely subject, I'm ready to order a Bimini as well this week for my Sun Cat Daysailer, Jim, I was wondering the exact same thing about adding more screws to the slide track.

Floridagent, thank you for pointing out how the straps will carry the load and extra screws are really not needed.

So now for another related question, I've read many of the posts on Bimini's and understand how it needs to have the back edge about 18" from the Gallows, which is right at the edge of the seat/fuel locker edge, to clear the mainsheets. So with that location as a starting point, I'm ordering a 60" length bimini (aftermarket) so I need to mount it 30" from this rear edge 18" point. Since I know these dimensions, should I just mount the Bimini directly or is it still nice to have a slide track for some adjustability?

Also, what is the length of your slide tracks, is the factory standard one about 18" long?

Zephyros

Regarding:
"is the factory standard one about 18" long?"

I did a scale measurement on a photo from a factory mounted Sun Cat bimini slide track and it looks like it may be closer to 24"?

Does anyone with their Sun Cat, Sunday Cat or Sun Cat Daysailer have it close at hand they could measure the factory installed Bimini slide track length for me?

Thank you in advance

Floridagent

My factory-provided Bimini from June 2012 included tracks that are 18" long.

Floridagent

I tried to attach the instruction sheet that came with the Sun Cat Bimini but the iPhone file was too big no matter what I tried.

But, what might be of interest to you is:
"1. Measure 19" from rear of the cabin on each side and mark a spot. This will be the forward edge of the slide track." (My Sunday Cat cabin is smaller; cockpit longggg.)
"2. Check the location by laying the Bimini to the rear for storage at this spot. Open the Bimini to see coverage... you can move the track forward or aft to suit your coverage."

The point is, "Where will you store the bimini when folded and mounted? The track provides that flexibility.

Good luck!
//Bob

Bilge Rat

Warning if you have rear boom sheeting:  I purchased and installed a new bimini per the factory instructions on my 2009 sun cat.  In the normal installation the idea is to have the bimini rest on top of the transom forward of the two sheet blocks when in the down position.  The problem with this is that the sheet blocks chafe the bimini and when you try to sit with your back against the transom it makes it even worse - you end up pushing the bimini up against the sheet blocks. I like to sit with may back against the rear of the transom and the bimini prevented me from doing this.   I ended up removing the bimini.  The only solution I've thought of, short of switching to mid-boom  sheeting - which I don't want to do, is to install the bimini tracks a bit more forward and see if I could fold the bimini down on top of the cabin top (like on a Horizon Cat). I've been meaning to try to temporarily install the bimini again to see if this type of positioning would work (folding down on top of the cabin).
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

Jim in TC

I saw a picture of a bimini that was 'stored' rolled up but up off the rear deck - actually looked like at the top of the rear support. This was not a factory bimini, I suspect, and may have been further modified (maybe an extra support piece?) to make it stay securely in that position. May be another option, anyway. If I run across that picture again I will post or link to it (may have been on trailersailor...or even a google image search). I am not running into the placement problem since either the 2006 is sheeted mid-boom from the factory or it was ordered that way. I can see some advantage to the rear track...but will likely stay with the current configuration.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Zephyros

Thank you everyone for the great tips, it really helps.

My boat is a 2007 Sun Cat Daysailer model so I have a little more flexibility to where I can mount the bimini since the cockpit is longer (although I would gladly give up some of the room for a Sunday Cat).

It does have end boom/transom mainsheeting, I read somewhere on the forum one person just using a piece of line to tie around the bimini to hold it up to the gallows and off the tiller when you want it out of the way.