a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

trailer axle measurments

Started by Koinonia, June 24, 2018, 11:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koinonia

I may be picking up a sun cat with a bad axle, can anybody tell me what the measurement is on the axle center to center where the springs mount.  or the frame to frame outside measurement.  Also is it a round or square axle?  Im guessing with the boat being 1500lbs they used a 3500lb axle instead of a 2000lb unit.   Thanks in advance

Floridagent

My 2010 Magic Tilt Trailer is titled as a "Hutchins Suncat" model.  (So, Magic Tilt may be able to supply more detailed information is necessary.)  Its axle is 2 x 2 square tubing and is 57-1/2 inches wide on spring centers.  The title says the GVWR is 3,070 lbs, so your guess on the axle capacity is likely.  The axle is not straight; it is depressed in the center. If we are lucky, picture should be attached.  //Bob
"Cay Cat"     (say "keycat")

Zephyros

My 2007 Sun Cat Daysailer sits on a Performance brand trailer, when Performance went out of business Hutchins switched to the Magic Tilt brand. My axle, from pictures also looks to be a 2 x 2 square tubing, however, it is straight.

One thing to keep in mine, if you are being told it has a "bad axle" that most likely just means the wheel hub bearings are shot and simple replacement hubs with bearings can be installed, or just replace the bearings and seals in the existing hubs. The spindles, welded to the ends of the 2 x 2 square tubing rarely get damaged, unless damaged in an accident or they have seen tens of thousands of miles with grease neglect that caused grind or score marks in the spindle, both not as likely in a boat trailer.

Koinonia

Thanks guys for the responces.  Im only able to look at pics and either the wheel is bent like crazy or the spindle area is bent which Ive seen happen but not as bad as this is.  Im mainly looking to source an axle nearby if i need it.  If its just the wheel it has a spare.  It has the small 5 lug galvanized wheels on it so im wondering about how strong they are.  Also its good to see that if this trailer has the dip in the axle it looks to have plenty of room to go strait.  If i can get one local before the trip I may buy it just to have onhand and return it if its not used.....looking at options.  Thanks again for such fast replys and pics to top it off!