Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

COMPAC 19 Forward Hatch Jamb Repair

Started by 5monkeys, June 07, 2018, 10:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5monkeys

Hi Fellow Com-Pacers,
    Has anybody run into/repaired this trouble. Napoli had some cracking at both of the corners of the deck just aft of the forward hatch (below the hatch hinges).  there is also a hairline crack that joins the two along that valley between the hatch and the jamb.. I ground down the cracks a bit a few days ago and was going to fill with thickened epoxy. However, I noticed this morning that at least the port side is weeping. I also decided to over drill the hinge holes and fill those with epoxy to seal up things. Well, when I drilled those holes out water was literally burbling up out of the hole. So the wood in there is clearly saturated. I went below and drilled two holes UP in to it because I wanted to see if there was any pooled water that would drain down. There wasn't any. However, that leaves me with a question of best next step.  I don't want to seal things up with water in there. However, what's best way to get it out?I could cut the top off to see how wet/rotted the wood is there. As drastic as that sounds,I'm just not sure It will dry out via 6 drilled out screw holes and the ground out cracks around the base alone.
Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

Tim Gardner

Unless I'm mistaken, the only wood in the beck is in the mast step area.  The rest of the deck is not wood cored.  Water in the area there maybe could have migrated down from the mast step, possibly?
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

5monkeys

This is the area I'm talking about.. I'm thinking the water got in through the hinge screws...but I'm working on the mast step as well.. filled those holes with epoxy/silica..that was dry when I over drilled it.

Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

Yamaha33410

it defintely looks like there could be wood glassed in there by the shape of it... I know some people say we don't have much wood in the boats, but I'm starting to feel that is not true, has anyone sliced one in half completely and know 100%? I know the smaller compacs aren't a wood cored deck.. but bits and pieces may be in there for structural purposes only. I feel the 16 has wood at the bottom of the companionway opening IMHO by the shape and thickness of that part of the hull. 

1981 Compac 16

-West Palm Beach, FL

wes

The confusion arises because Compac says they don't use wood coring in their decks (except in limited areas like the mast step and the transom where the motor mount attaches).. This is true, however they do use foam coring which will saturate with water if the deck gets cracked and leaks. I speak from personal experience having undertaken a huge re-coring project on the foredeck of my 27.

Because the saturated foam won't rot like wood, you do have the option of living with it. You can drain the water or force it out with compressed air, repair the cracks and reinforce with epoxy where needed. Or you can re-core, which is major surgery. It depends on what you're willing to spend in time and/or money and whether you can sleep soundly at night knowing that there's water in the deck.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

5monkeys

I was just going to drill several holes like Swiss cheese to allow this to air out.. but it was pretty delaminated and the fiberglass started crumbling with the drill bit.. so I just used my oscillating tool to cut off the vertical pieces..it is in fact a 2x4 and it's very wet.. but I don't see any ROT at all. so I don't think it's been wet very long. with the sides open I've got a heat lamp on it.. and hoping it will dry out fairly quickly.
Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

Salty19

This seems to be the month of wet decks around here.

I'm not surprised there is wood there, but admittedly that is the first time I recall seeing anyone open this area up. 

Sounds like you're on the right track.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

cycle

PO here. My bad. I had read that there was no wood in the deck and assumed it to also be true for the hatch area.    For most all its time with me the crack was sealed with Marine Tex.  (and hi Keith!)

Jon
1987 CP19
Portland, ME

5monkeys

Hi Jon,
I don't think there's any bad on your part. The wood isn't rotted AT ALL, since it isn't showing any rot, I think all the water in there was from the two weeks since we've had the boat. There's been lots of rain and the boat was uncovered.. but I got the area opened up and have the boat covered now.. I checked yesterday and it seems to be drying out nicely. I hope to start the epoxy and fiberglass work of closing it up again tomorrow.
Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

Yamaha33410

it should be ok if sealed up good, it wouldn't think rotted wood would come out in shavings like in that picture you have of your deck anyhow...

also whoever posted about 27's... only the small jib boats up to 23 have straight resin decks... above that they use cores... Also no idea what the cat boats use/Eclipse...

1981 Compac 16

-West Palm Beach, FL