a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lines

Started by Jasmid53, April 22, 2018, 01:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasmid53

Can anyone tell me the length of the jib sheet and the main sail's sheet? My boat came with lots of ropes of various lengths and I'm having a hard time figuring out which goes where.
Also, what is this fixture used for? It's the round standing eyelet. There is one on both sides. Probably has a name I just don't know it.

Finbar Beagle

Jas,

It is fairlead for working jib.  Do you have multiple jibs or
A roller furling one?
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

Jasmid53

I have roller furling with what I think is a genoa sail. The boat came with a jib also. I can't see how I could attach the jib. I used the halyard to raise the sail on the furler. There is a half round 1/4" wire loop at the very top of the mast that points forward which I don't know it's purpose.

Vipersdad

The following is a transcription of the specifications for the CP 19 found on the CPYOA site in Jan 04.

Com-Pac 19 Specifications:

These specifications are appropriate for all original Com-Pac 19 models, starting in 1980 with Hull #1 and continuing to until 1984 with Hull # 266.  The original Com-Pac 19 does not have a bowsprit, which is probably the most reliable way to differentiate them from the later models.

Basic Dimensions
Length overall (LOA)                     19'
Waterline Length (LWL)                 16'4"
Beam                                           7'
Draft                                            2'
Mast height (Above waterline)        25'
Displacement                                2000 lbs.
Ballast                                         800 lbs.

Sail Plan Geometry
Sail Area                                      188 sqft
Sail Area : Main sail                       98  sqft
Sail Area : 110% Jib                       90 sqft
Sail Area : 155% Genoa                 110 sqft
"I"                                                21'9"
"J"                                                  6'5"
"P"                                                18'9"
"E"                                                  8'
LP 110%                                          7'1"
LP 155%                                          9'11"
LP 165%                                         10'7"
LP 175%                                         11'7"

Rigging Specifications
Standing Rigging Diameter                5/32"
Main Halyard Length                         51'
Main Halyard Type                            5/16" Sta-Set
Jib Halyard Length                            51'
Jib Halyard Type                               5/16" Sta-Set
Mainsheet Length                              56'
Mainsheet Type                                5/16" Sta-Set
110% Jib Sheet length                      35'
110% Jib Sheet Type                        5/16" Sta-Set
155% Genoa Sheet length                 43'
155% genoa Sheet Type                   5/16' Sta-Set

Racing Handicaps
PHRF                                               285
Portsmouth                                      100.2

s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Finbar Beagle

The forward mast head loop can be used of adding block for spinnaker, and to assist in boat yard raising of your mast. 

With a furling jib, most likely you should use the bock on the track.  Make sure this is able to move on the track as you will need to adjust for size of jib you deploy.

Jasmid53

I did a search on this site and google and couldn't find the specs you've shown me.
Not sure what you mean by track. I think I have the furling set up correctly. It works fine.
Thanks all.

Finbar Beagle

Jasmid,

The job sheet should go through the block that in on a track out side of cockpit.  You should adjust its position based on the size job you are using.  Small lib, closer to bow, large job area, closer to stern.

Jasmid53

I was confused 'cause I was thinking you were talking about somewhere on the forestay or the furling system. This photo is what you were referring to. I have a Snapfurl by Schaefer Marine and I just watched a video and I did set it up correctly.

I thought that the PO said that he was able to roll up the genoa and fly the jib. There is no other halyard to do this. Is this something that is posible and commonly done? My experience of the winds where I sail are, that in the morning they are light and pick up in the afternoon often being quite gusty. Being able to quickly rollup the genoa and raise a jib would it seems to me to be ideal.

Finbar Beagle

PO may have meant you can furl the genoa to a working jib size.  I believe the Snapfurl covers the forestay, so you will not be able to hank on a smaller jib.  But I do not think you will need to if you can reduce the jib area with furling.

Jasmid53

The Snapfurl does cover the forestay and I can reduce the sail size. I read that reducing the jib or genoa more than 1/3 of its full size makes it an ineffective sail. If the wind is really blowing does this even matter.

I have another question about the fairlead for working jib. If I had a working jib how would it be rigged. Would the jib sheet pass on the inside of the stays? Would this setup be used while close hauled only and for other points of sail reposition the sheet to the outside of the stays and then through the fairlead on the track?

Salty19

Quote from: Jasmid53 on April 22, 2018, 05:53:13 PM
I did a search on this site and google and couldn't find the specs you've shown me.

Here you go...

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=1093.0
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Finbar Beagle

It would depend on the size of Jib you are flying.

For a 110 or 100 working job, outside of stays is best for me.

For storm jib, or small jib, inside may be best.  You should experiment on your boat, when conditions are not crazy.

Jasmid53

I just located the manual and it says to run your sheets between the side stays. So I guess it's what ever works for you and the particular sail you are flying.

What diameter rope are you using for the out haul, down haul and the reefing system?

Finbar Beagle

I think I am using 1/4 inch.