a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Where can I see an Eclipse (Houston)

Started by rmpalmer, May 28, 2018, 06:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmpalmer

I like nearly everything I have read about the Eclipse, and am quite interested in buying one, probably new.  The ease of setup and trailering are quite attractive, but I want to get an idea what it feels like to sit in the cockpit.  I would also like to put my hands on the controls to know what single handing would be like.

I live in the Houston area, and would very much like to get a look at one.  Where, within perhaps 300 miles of Houston, can I get a look at one, new or used, for sale or perhaps just for a look?

Richard Palmer

captronr

Welcolme Richard. 

Searching for a (used) Eclipse can be one of the most frustrating ventures you will likely endure, but it will be worth the effort.  I looked for over 2 years, and found a very nice 2012 model in Wisconsin in November.  Even after a 700 mile one way trip, and slipping on the icy boarding ladder coming off the boat and breaking my kneecap, I STILLED loved and purchased the boat.  Towed it all the way home with an ice bag held to my right knee.............. Not fun at the time, but still..........

You might find one in south TX, and hopefully someone close can reply.  There are two fairly active posters here that winter in FL with Eclipses; they'd be happy to show  you.  Or you can go to FL to the factory.  I'd check first to make sure they have one in stock.  I think they mostly now build to order, so it's not like going to a car lot and seeing dozens or more of the model you want.

If you travel to Wichita, I'd be happy to show you mine.  It's on a lake 30 minutes from town.  I single hand mine about 1/2 the time, and it's the easiest of six boats I've had to set up and operate.

If you haven't, you might check here in the classifieds, and Sailing Texas for used boats.   Or if you wait 3-5  years, I'll likely be selling mine as the knees are the weak link for me.............

Edit:  I did a quick search--one of the things you need to watch is the age of the ads posted for Eclipses.  I saw one or two from 2014 that were listed in 2015-16 when I was looking--and they are still posted.  I'm sure the boat is long sold........

Best wishes,
Ron

"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

alsantini

Richard.  I agree with Capt. Ron.  Worth the wait.  I searched all winter (4 years ago) and found 2 in my area (loosely defined as within 600 miles...)  Bought the one near Kansas City, Kansas.  I am one of the sailors who winters in Florida, summers in Northern Illinois.  So like Ron, If you get to the Chicago area I would love to take you out on the Chain of Lakes.

Let me also add that if you want to talk Eclipse and have some questions, give me a call.  PM me with details at your end and I will do the same.

The Eclipse does everything I want and does it well.  It sails really well, set up is a breeze, and towing short or long distance (like to Florida 1400 miles one way - 4 years).  Great boat!  Let's talk so I can answer question?   Sail On,  Al

Vectordirector

Hi Richard,

I have Eclipse #23 and have sailed her for almost 5 years.  If you are able to come to SW FL you can sail mine and buy her if you want.  She's in the water ready to go anytime the weather is decent.   I've been active here since before I bought her in Chicago and much of that story is posted here on the Eclipse section starting in mid 2012 if you want to read it.  The details of the boat are in my classified ad in the for sale section.  If you want a new one I expect the wait is not short.  If you want to have one this summer, you may be out of luck unless you can find a used one. 

If you have questions, PM me here for contact information.  I have more pictures I can email if you want to see her. 

Bryan aka
Vectordirector

2005 Eclipse #23  Sold