Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sun Cat New Owner Top Ten

Started by Zephyros, May 04, 2018, 08:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyros

Hello All,

After a couple of years on the forum, originally wanting to purchase a Horizon Day Cat, I found a 2007 Sun Cat Daysailer for sale near me in the Dallas area. I thought what better way to dip into the Compac pool and try out a cat boat for myself. The boat is in good shape from little use and good care from two owners, it has a 2007 Tohatsu 4 HP outboard that looks near new, the sail is surprisingly crisp. I'm in the process of buying a few items with the intent of launching her on June 1st.

I'm a sloop sailor, most recently sailing a Capri 22, so this will be my first venture on a gaff rigged boat. I've read tons of postings, watched a bunch of videos and have downloaded and read some of the Catboat Guide and Sailing Manual. However, even with all that great information I'm hoping fellow members can help me out on a Top Ten List for the first sail, including launching, retrieving, sail handling and other important tips and tricks.

Thanks in advance for all your insights from a newbie gaffer, Tom

bruce

Tom,

I really like Bill Welch's book, The Competitive Cat - Racing Small Gaff-rigged Catboats. There is some stuff on racing, it you're into that, but there's plenty of good, sound advice about sailing a catboat well.

The Catboat Association has some reprints from their bulletin that were interesting as well, but Welch's book is what I return to.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Zephyros

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for the great lead, I've ordered the book, Mr. Amazon says it will arrive Monday.

What would you say are the top three sail handling techniques for the gaff rig? In my sloop days some were "when in doubt let it out", "when in irons backwind the jib", etc., what would the corollary be for a gaff rig?

bruce

Hopefully others with a Sun Cat, and more experience in a keeled sloop, will jump in.

When in doubt, let it out is still good. We rarely get caught in the irons, and if we do it's usually because I forgot to drop the CB, or, early on, I was lazy in tilting the OB clear of the water. At 109 sq. ft, backing the main is doable in light winds. I'd guess the Sun Cat, at 150 sq. ft, is probably similar.

Trimming the sail is important, but learning to use the CB will probably be more important for a while. Not hard, into the wind, board down, off wind, board up, but it does make a difference.

I'm going offline for a while...first sail of the season!
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Andre

Hi Tom,

Congratulations on your new Sun Cat.  Although I've never sailed one I have a 2008 Picnic Cat and a 2014 Horizon Cat.

Other than gaff sail trim I don't think you'll find it that much different than any keel/centerboard sloop.  Exception being that if you need to reduce sail area there is only one option - reef.

As for sail trim, the best on-line guide I found was a January 2007 article at sailingmagazine.net entitled Catboat Sail Trim.  I just checked and it appears to have disappeared from their site.  It's about 5 pages and is excellent.  I saved a hard copy, could scan it, and would be glad to provide it to you and anyone else interested in adjusting a gaff sail.  Well worth reading.

Andre

bruce

Andre,

Ed Steinfeld included at least an excerpt from that article in his Catboat Guide and Sailing Manual. It's pages 19-21 in the version at this link. Is there more? I'd like a copy if there is.
http://www.go-embedded.com/Sailingmanual.pdf

I was in contact with Ed a couple of years ago, and he said that he was no longer updating his manual. He said the last version was dated 5/23/15, and is newer than the version in the link. In any event, the pages from the Sailing Magazine article are the same in both versions.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Andre

Bruce,

That is indeed the article.  There are some pictures that show the sail flat, deep-throated, etc. missing.  They complement the text nicely, but don't provide any information that isn't in the manual already in text form.

I'll scan the article to a PDF this weekend and post when I have it done.

Andre

Andre

Finbar Beagle

Tom,

Congrats on the Sun Cat.  Today I too have joined the gaffer side.

I can't give any advice, but I will do best to share my fails and snafu's.

Regards,
Brian
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

Zephyros

Hello Andre
Thank you for the info in the Catboat Sail Trim article, I would sure appreciate a copy of it after you scan it.

Hi Finbar Beagle,
Looking forward to hearing about your fails and snafu's, sometimes those are the best leasons. I'm just hoping to minimize mine so tips from the forum sure help.

Bruce,
In trying to chase down the link I came across this:
CATBOAT SAIL TRIM QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE
Used by Permission from "the Competitive Cat"
copyright Bill Welch MD, 2007
http://www.areyspondboatyard.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/catboat-sail-trim.pdf

rogerschwake

The Catboat Sail Trim Quick Reference Guide is the best information I've read for sailing a cat boat. Every cat sailor should have a copy of this on there boat. I'm not into racing but do like to keep the boat moving as best I can. This book sounds like something that should be on my book shelf. Thanks for the great information.

ROGER

Andre

Scanned the article mentioned in my exchange with Bruce into a PDF.  No new text but several nice pictures of gaff rigged sail in different states of trim added.

I'll send it to anyone who wants it.  Don't have any other way of sharing it.

Andre

Zephyros

Hi Andre,

Thank you so much, I've sent you a PM with my email.

bruce

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Tim Gardner

Andre,  You can attach pdf files here. Go to additional options in the post dialog box, and under attach, you browse your computer for the pdf file, select it, click "open" and vwa-la it's posted.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

kickingbug1

if roger recommends something follow his advice. he's one of the best sailors i know and can really make the little cat do some tricks.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"