a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

How come so quiet here???

Started by alsantini, May 04, 2018, 05:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Hey, I would expect that most of us are getting our boats together and ready for launch day.  So, what is going on.  Let's get this Eclipse board humming along again.
Off the Wind is ready for launch day which I hope will be Tuesday.  As usual it will be a full day to get her in the water and tied up in her slip.  First phase will be to tow her from Davis, Illinois to Fox Lake, Illinois and Ben Watts Marina.  Pay my launch fee ($20.00), step the mast (maybe - maybe not...) and launch.  After putting the SUV and trailer in a parking space, I will motor around the point about 1/2 mile to BayView Marina and slip 27.  Set my 5 lines (2 - bow, 1 - stern, 2- spring).  Once I am satisfied that all the lines and the horizontal bumper is good, I will motor out and sail for a bit.  So far it looks to be a good day with light winds - a relaxing day sailing with my lunch in hand and maybe an adult beverage?  Sail back to the slip.  Once a year I sail out of the slip and sail into the slip just to make sure I can do it - Tuesday might be the day.  Close up the boat and walk the 1/2 mile back to the SUV and I am off to Davis again to drop the trailer.
How about at your end??  Sail On,  Al

Tim Gardner

Al,
Not many eclipse owners sail like you do.
There are many 19 owners who "feel eclipsed" by the plumb bow and scant transom.  But our hulls retain a common trait.  We bang into the chop.

I think the biggest difference is the mastender system.  You're welcome to experience the Citroen Dave initiation to sailing a 19 on Smith Moutain Lake, anytime!

Don't get me wrong,  I love your boat. 
TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

TedStrat

Al, I'm curious about the sailing into the slip. I'm sure it takes a lot of skill (which you clearly have). Do you use the jib reefed in? I always wonder if I could do it if the engine failed.
I'm still getting Helios ready for launch. Taking my time with light sanding of all teak getting it ready for Semco. Then loading everything back on board for launch. I've been delayed since spring just arrived last week on Long Island! Can't wait to get sailing.
-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

slode

Sylvia has been officially re-named and is ready for launch.  Lakes around here just opened up over the weekend, three weeks behind normal schedule.  I have to make a work trip this week so won't be able to do a weeknight sail.   Thinking I'll haul her out to Waconia on Saturday 5/12 for our maiden voyage. 

We have a slip reserved at Doc's Harbor on Mille Lacs for Memorial Day weekend.  I was hoping to get a bit more sailing in to work any bugs out before hitting the big lake, we'll see.  We may take her down to Pepin on the 19'th to visit my folks and take them out for an afternoon.  Otherwise I'll have to get out a few weeknights before then.

"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

alsantini

Ted. I drop the main while still out in the Lake, furl away much of the Genoa.  I practice out in the Lake into an imaginary slip before actually sailing into the marina.  I have the boat hook handy and lines on each of the two stern cleats. I also have the board part way down for sideways stability.  Practice, practice....  A mentor told me to sail up to my buoy when I was on Lake Geneva in Wisconsin.  He talked me through it.  A bit frustrating since there were boats all around but I learned to be patient and sail past it if I was off a bit.  Now that I am in a slip, it actually is easier especially if the wind cooperates.  A North wind allows me to get the bow into the slip and then the wind pushes me in.  A South wind puts me on the wrong side of the slip but the lines let me pivot off and pull me into position.  A West wind pushes me into the slip, which can be dangerous.  I always lay my back spring line on the dock near the beginning of the slip so I can grab it and throw it over the midships cleat.  I saved the best for last.  When I am in the slip I face East (you have probably figured that out already).  I sail into the marina, do a 180 and pick up some steam.  Let the Genoa sheet fly and turn at the last moment into the slip.
I sail into my slip at least a couple of times just for practice.  Usually the same day that I sail squares out in the water.  Do it - you will love it!  Sail On    Al

TedStrat

Wow Al - what a great visual of all your compass point sails! Would expect nothing less from a guy who sailed across the gulf at gunpoint ????. I will definitely have to try this someday - a day with very light air. Like I said I've always thought about it so will have to give it a shot. I've sailed to a morning a few times - much harder than it seems it would be so the slip sail is the ultimate. Thanks.
-Ted
-Ted

alsantini

LOL.  Well, I guess you have read at least the first book.  Thanks  I had an individual come up to me this winter in Florida, while I was setting the boat up and ask, "is the boat that sailed across the Gulf to Mexico and back?"  At first I went along with it until I realized that he was serious!  So, I explained about the books being fiction and that all sailing across the Gulf were in my mind.  He came to our unit and bought the sequel.  Sail On....  Al

captronr

That's funny Al!  String them along...............

I recall seeing a very good video (an hour long) about Brian Shule, who was an SR71 pilot.  It's a great story dealing with more than just flying--he was shot down over vietnam when his plane crashed, he spent over a year in hospitals, had like 15 surgeries, then managed to get back to flying in the USAF, and a few years later, finessed his way into flying SR71s.

Anyway, He was commenting on talking with people at  airshows, and as usual, got questions such as "when you go into orbit, do you shut down the engines?"  Real answer: No, we don't go into orbit and they are air breathing engines.

But growing weary of one guy asking bizarre questions, said to the person "Ok, look, this is super highly classified, so you cannot tell anyone, ok?"  Sure, Sure, sure, says the guy.

Brian said "Once in awhile, when we go to the backside of the moon, we do shut down one engine, and use the moon's gravity to sling us back toward earth.  But you cannot tell anyone, ok?"

Guy said No, no, I won't tell anyone; then he raced back to his family and relayed the whole story..............

Have fun.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

TedStrat

Al, I didn't know there was a sequel...will have to pick up! Funny about the individual you met - sign of a good writer I guess if he was a believer right! What's the name of the 2nd book?
-Ted

alsantini

Back to the Gulf of Mexico.  Thanks.  Let me know your thoughts.  Sail On,  Al