a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

new sail for Suncat

Started by sjaffess, April 25, 2018, 04:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaffess

I am interested in purchasing a new sail for my Suncat.  Could anyone recommend a good sailmaker that you have used.  National Sails Quoted $629.  Compac wants About $1000. Any help would be appreciated

Potcake boy

I purchased a sail for my Suncat from National. I had previously bought sails from Dirk for my 19, which were a perfect fit and well made. The original sail on the Suncat was beyond old, and was very difficult to measure correctly so I got it a little long on the leach. It wasn't a big problem and I'm sure that Dirk would have made corrections but it was suitable as it was. The quality was very good and the service excellent. Very good value and I would recommend them.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

sjaffess

Thanks Ron. Did you get their standard 4oz Dacron.  It seems a little thin.  I'm thinking about the 6oz Dacron. Is it made in Florida or Thailand.   Steve

Potcake boy

I don't recall what weight I had made for mine, but I think it may have been 5oz. Dirk is very knowledgeable and is happy to help plan your sails. Dirk draws the sail plan and relays it electronically to the sail loft in Phuket Thailand. You can ask his advice and trust it. Actually you can view their web page. It is Rolly Tasker sails, originally from Australia.   http://www.rollytasker.com/
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water