a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Exhaust manifold

Started by Reighnman, May 29, 2018, 01:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reighnman

I know the picture below is blurry, it's actually steam/exhaust but does this setup look factory install or post production? The hose is leaking exhaust and water at the clamp on the insulation. My concern is there isn't an elbow as shown in the manuals and water can back fill into the system. My "diesel" mechanic turned into not a westerbeke mechanic o I'm stuck waiting for call backs but would also like to be proactive if it's an easy fix.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

Reighnman

Just to help others in the future, the mixing elbow on the CP25 was/is built by Compac. They still make them for $121 out of galvanized. Being a newbie to diesels, and wanting to have the engine looked over, I went the route of hiring someone. He fabricated one from stainless for $225 plus labor. Now I know why I couldn't find it on the Westerbeke parts manual. The mechanic said galvanized last about 7 years so it's a rather common replacement. Hope this helps future owners.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

Restharrow

I had to replace the manifold last year!!  Almost sank the vessel.  After motoring for well over three hours we anchored in a VERY secluded spot off the Northern Coast of Maine.  Just after anchoring my wife went below and said there's water on the floor.  NOT a good problem.  After checking all seacocks, etc. started the engine and found a gusher!!!  Called Coast Guard who "rescued" us the next morning.  Had a local Marine Engineer fabricate a new part.  Did and OUTSTANDING Job.  Bottom line BUY A SPARE from COMPAC!! And check yours!!

We would have never known we had an issue if cruising and the boat was filled with water.  All is well and the vessel is now in better shape than ever.  Lots of spring work this spring/ summer.

BTW it is for sale and FULLY equipped for long range cruising!!

Steve
CP 25
Coast of Maine and Lake Champlain.
CP 25
Lake Champlain, Vt. and coast of Maine
FaceBook RestHarrow Farm and Boatworks