a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Wire Luff Roller Furler rigging

Started by patclem, June 16, 2018, 05:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patclem

Hi folks. I'm waiting on new sails and I'm trying to figure out how to rig this Harken roller furler. It's a cable luff system. If I rig it like it is in the picture the angle points it to about where the spreader bars are. I'm not sure if I'm trying to attach it to the right place on the bow. Help?

https://flic.kr/p/26U7mJ2

patclem

I guess my question is, the furler should be in front of and parallel to the forestay? Am I missing any parts?

wes

I've never seen a 19 rigged with a separate forestay from the furler as your photo implies. Ordinarily the furler and its luff tube or foil encapsulates the forestay, which is then contained inside it. Not saying it's impossible, it's just unconventional for these boats.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Jasmid53

On my 16 and 19 the furler is connected to the forestay and the jib is wrapped around the forestay on a plastic track. My 19 uses the jib halyard the 16 has a different system which I can't remember how it works. Did this fuller come with the boat? And do you have the manual? If not, Goggle the make and model number and you should be able to find the information you need. Even if you can't find the exact manual, one by the same company might give you enough intel to get it set up correctly.

slode

The furler assembly should replace the forestay you have shown (drum mounts in top hole).   Do you have the rest of the furler, part that jib sail wraps around?
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

patclem

General Sections of the original sale has a wire luff with loops on the ends. There's no foil. Everything seems to be there.

Reighnman

A wire line jib uses the wire within the sail as the "foil". I'm assuming the new headsail will have a wire in it?  Both my Siren 17 and Oday 22 had wire line furlering jibs.  Those were raised with a halyard and you'll need to use the winch to get it straight enough to furl. You seem to indicate that there's another piece that affixes to the mast. Do you have any pictures of the boat setup by the previous owner? Notice any eyes on the mast were it might attach? 
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

patclem

Yes, I sent the sail to Mack to reproduce and the original had the wire. No photos of the boat setup. The guy I bought it from I don't think ever had it in the water - new baby blew up his plans I assume. 

There is a lightweight eye bolt (in the picture lower right) on the bow that may be used to tie the forestay out of the way, use the wire luff as the working forestay.  That's my plan I guess until I figure something out.

When I said the piece in the photo points to the wrong spot on the mast, it's just pointing far from the masthead / halyard sheave.

carry-on

One jib for my 16 is a wire luff, no hanks. The luff  becomes a headstay for that sail. The sail furls around it's luff.
The normal headstay remains in place, but it is somewhat slack when a load is placed on the wire luff. No winch on my boat so I get some tension using a trucker's hitch. This is not a very efficient jib, but easy to handle on the Harken furler. You will need/ should already have a swivel at the end of your jib halyard.

If you want to improve the furler angle shown in your picture, you could add a 3 or 4 inch tang below the furler. Depending on the luff length of your sail, you may not have space.

I think the eye bolt shown is the connection point for the furler. Is it a through bolt with washer and nut? The sprit is a fairly serious piece of wood, but a screw in eye bolt would make me uncomfortable.
This eye bolt connection for the furler would create some space between the fore stay and the wire luff and solve the angle issue. The space created is good to avoid interference between the slack stay and the wire luff when setting or dousing the jib.

Maybe this will help, or as my boss says, I may not understand the problem. 
Happy Compacting!
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

patclem

Thanks carryon. Maybe a soft shackle would fix the angle for me, except the chainplate might cut through it. Might spin and tangle when furling. Not sure. I also have metal tools / TIG welder in my shop so making an extender plate out of stainless is possible. Gotta think that through. I have some questions gauge stainless that would be perfect.

patclem

A little more research. I think I need a 'strap tang'. Fortunately I have a sheet of stainless and a CNC plasma cutter. Should be easy work to fabricate a pair. I'll post back if it works.