a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New product

Started by rbh1515, March 25, 2018, 11:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

A note on batteries. I sail in a salt water environment where everything is subject to corrosion. I have a number of battery powered gadgets and each battery gets a very light coating of Vaseline including the contacts. Prevents corrosion and in the case where batteries are left in for extended periods of time, it could save the device. Once the batteries corrode, might as well throw that flashlight out. Although I don't use Mag-lights anymore, that's how I found out. The corroded battery welded itself to the inside of the aluminum case and that was the end of the road for that mag-light!!
   Vaseline works nicely on turnbuckles too.

relamb

...and even though I use the batteries that have long storage life, I usually swap them out every season anyway.  Put in new ones, and use the old ones in something not so important.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Tim Gardner

Hmm Bob,
I still use a Maglite flashlight daily for my inspection business.  Doubles as a hammer, ceramic tile checker and oh yeah, a light
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

I still use them too, Tim. Just not on the boat. They don't seem to like salt water very well.

Allure2sail

Hi:
Just purchased one at (of all places) West Marine on sale for $69.95. It Blinks S.O.S so be prepared to be rescued. Not good for tagging a boat in a mooring field so you can find it easier. Good Quality but hope I never have to use it !!!
Bruce
S/V allure
27 Compac
Soon to be for sale.....