a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Looking to upgrade from 23 to 25

Started by Captain John, September 21, 2017, 01:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain John

I have a Compac 23, 1989 with 9hp honda.  I'm thinking of upgrading to a 2001 25 which has an inboard diesel, stand up headroom and has been lake sailed.  I'm in Toms River and Banegat Bay NJ.  The 25 is about 1,800 pounds more than the 23.  I would think this will add more stability.  Has anyone upgraded and if so what are your thoughts?

John

Finbar Beagle

Hi captain john,

I can't provide personal insight, but the theory makes sense.

I am curious, do you find your 23 to be tender, to lack stability?  I am trying to push my CP-19, but she is stable, but that could be my centerboard heritage.

Give me a shout if you are sailing north of the the Seaside Bridge.

Regards,
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

brackish

Quote from: Finbar Beagle on September 21, 2017, 05:22:02 PM
Hi captain john,

I can't provide personal insight, but the theory makes sense.

I am curious, do you find your 23 to be tender, to lack stability?  I am trying to push my CP-19, but she is stable, but that could be my centerboard heritage.

Give me a shout if you are sailing north of the the Seaside Bridge.

Regards,

It is my understanding that by design the 19 has a higher initial stability than the 23.  Different designers, softer round chines on the 23.  The 23 does have very high ultimate stability, in other words she locks up at a certain point and will go no further.

It is also my understanding that the Compac 25 is made from the molds of the Watkins 25, so any reviews and tech data from the Watkins should be relevant when making that choice.

deisher6

Hey Capt John:
Having gone in three years from a C-16, C-23, Jaguar 23, C-27.  At the time we had 3 young daughters and it worked out well in both size and sailing pleasure.  We sold the 27 in 1990.  Bought another C-16 sailed it in Eastern MT and brought it to NC 5 years ago, sold it and am back in a C-27 (looking at a C-33/35's lustfully).

Go for a C-27.

Smooth Sailing.

regards charlie

Captain John

Thanks for the responses.  I'm leaning to the CP27 but haven't sailed on one.  Is it an easy boat to single hand?  I'm on the Jersey Shore and would welcome being crew for an afternoon if anyone needs a hand.

John

Restharrow

I haven't been on the site for awhile, obviously.  We upgraded from a CP23 to CP25 and found it well worth it, if you plan on cruising weekends or overnights.  Ours is FULLY equipped with full canvas, seat cushions, windless, garmin plotter, etc., etc. and find it VERY comfortable when cruising the Maine Coast. Except the v-berth is slightly shorter due to space taken by the enclosed head and shower. The accomodations are great. We find the sailing characteristics similar, except the freeboard height is higher and it's slightly more bouncy.  And the diesel engine is a welcome addition.

On a second note:  We are considering selling our much loved CP25 with trailer which has been completely rebuilt with electric brakes on all 4 wheels, new tires, etc., etc.  Willing to deliver. If anyone would like full details please email me.

Steve
CP 25 - Lake Champlain, VT
and Coast of Maine
CP 25
Lake Champlain, Vt. and coast of Maine
FaceBook RestHarrow Farm and Boatworks

Ron

Hi Capt John,
We have had a 25 for four years now and sail it on Barnegat,mostly north of the Seaside bridge.
No boat is perfect but we have been happy with how the 25 performs.The weight of the boat does add stability despite the shallow draft( a real plus in the thin water of the bay)For us as short people we experience full headroom,a very nice feature.True she does not come about like a center boarder,or even like the South Coast Alberg hull we once had,but when the breeze gets around 15 or so knots she begins to step along.Certainly based on the displacement she could not be considered fast but fast enough to be fun. Big storage aboard,in the lazeretts and cabin,separate enclosed head,is a much appreciated aspect of her design.Family had a 27 for some years,my brother-in laws boat,very nice but draft a bit much for the bay.
Wish the 25 had an inboard,instead a 9.9 outboard which is the engine which drives the boat.If you need to navigate in tight spaces this in not a good combo,since the rudder surface is I think too small for moving her about in small areas,like our berth at the end of a lagoon.The prop being aft of the rudder does not help much either.
I f you can find a 25 with a diesel I would recommend it.
Please feel free to ask any questions you might have.
Ron

moonlight

I haven't been on the forum in quite some time either, but have a 2000 ComPac 25 (wheel steering, roller furling, inboard diesel, H/C Pressurized water, head w/ holding tank, getting a bottom job RIGHT NOW), going on the market this spring.

Basically a 3-year old boat w/ a 18-year title.  Was in sailing school/dealer inventory 2000-2003.  Dry stacked 2003-2008; recommissioned right before the recession hit.  Launched and sat.  My emphasis then (post recession) was fully on the service side, no more charters nor lessons.  Time to move on.

FOB New Orleans, LA.

Bob23

How many clams are ya thinking, Moonlight?

brackish

Quote from: Bob23 on January 21, 2018, 07:46:42 AM
How many clams are ya thinking, Moonlight?

Bob, clams are not legal tender in South Louisiana.  You need to think in terms of how many bags of oysters. :)

Rafici

I upgraded from a Precision 23 to the Compac 25. Have had for 2 seasons in the Midwest and love it.  I have read a lot of comments on the v-berth being short, I'm 6'2 and make do just fine.  I spent 1 summer on a lake in western Iowa, and last summer wandering around the Apostel islands of lake Superior.  Between the storms and my own stupidity I would be hard pressed to ask for a finer boat for my needs.