a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Polishing the hull

Started by Reighnman, April 08, 2018, 05:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reighnman

Looking for some input on polishing. I've had luck with heavy compound and waxing but mixed results with using the 3M perfect it polish as a middle step. Last year ended in swirls but I think it was my cheapness using Harbor Freight pads.  Bought a DA polisher and am determined to make it work this year. Have my eyes on Chemical guys pads to apply the polish but thought I'd see what others do/have done in the past.

My game plan is to first wash hull with simple green,  a Mr. easer to remove stains and then collinite pre-wax cleaner. Let dry and apply 3M heavy compound with wool compound pad, 3M perfect it  with chemical guys white foam pad, and collinite insulator wax with wool finishing pad.

What are others doing to make their boats so shiny??
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

TedStrat

Reighnman-just my 2 cents but up to, and including your step with the colonize pre-wax cleaner I am in agreement. Why the need to go with a heavy compound after those steps? Is the hull's gelcoat in really bad shape? The heavy compound takes a lot off and sooner or later you will go through the gelcoat. I usually go right to the colonize wax after your first 3 steps. If your hull is badly faded then I guess I understand.
-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

Reighnman

Great point. I should state that the heavy compound isn't a required step or an annual event. Every boat that I've purchased has been in a state of neglect that required it. I'm assuming my soon to be newest boat will be in such a state as well. But yeah, I don't use heavy compound on my fathers boat every year. We do the cleaning steps and then collinite wax. 
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

brackish

Have to say when gel coat gets to the point that it needs heavy compounding, that's when I give up on it.  Usually even waxed well at that point it chalks half way through a season.  Too much work.  That is the point where I get out the Catalyzed Polyurethane and do a true prep and shoot it,  That gives five years minimum with just a cleaning then a light wax thereafter.  My 2005 is a few years away from that time but I'm always looking for a reason to invest in a nice Satajet