a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

remote for sunday cat outboard

Started by lockwoods, September 03, 2017, 10:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lockwoods

I single hand -- and the location of the outboard makes single handed docking (throttle and clucth control) almost impossible -- since you have to be leaning over the transom and can't handle lines at same time?

I suppose there is no solution other than remote controls (I have 5hp merc 4-stoke, manual start)

Appreciate any insights

Finbar Beagle

When I approach slip. I put motor in neutral and glide the last few feet. Either I grab piling from stern, or use extended boat hook to grab dock from standing in cockpit next to cabin..  Key is slow, control, and practice.

If it is new dock, I will run lines from bow already ready to deploy from cockpit.

At some point, single handing, you will need to leave the motor.

How is you dock configured, and what is typical wind/current/tide, pattern?
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

rogerschwake

Not a easy fix, but putting a motor well in the cockpit would be one fix. I have looked at a few boats our size that have there engines in a well in the cockpit, looks like a good idea to me. Now if I could just find someone to make this change for me for little or nothing it would be a great idea. I'm just not into big projects any more, they seem to get started and never finished. And another thing is the summers are to short already where I live. Just another good idea that will never get done.

ROGER

Tom L.

I don't know if it would work but some outboards have the throttle and gear shift on the handle, You might check that out.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

lockwoods

I cant say i have "solved" the problem of docking single handed.  I have switched to an electric outboard which is a little simpler (throtle and clutch on the tiller). Also using the cleat+power technique: run a line from the bow, outside the shroud to the stern-- line at stern can be dropped over a dock cleat while keeping a little powser and helm bow towards the dock -- keeps the boat againts the dock (need a bumper) wihile you get organized!!

Steve

Tom Ray

If you should go back to gasoline, you wanted a Powertiller.

http://powertiller.com/our-products/

They make nice controls for the Tohatsu/Nissan/Merc engines that you can mount on your tiller.

Tohatsu also has kits for this, as discussed here:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/outboard/171362-adding-remote-control-tohatsu-6hp.html

hoddinr

The PowerTiller II says it's specifically for the Yamaha 4HP 4 stroke, although they work on others as well.

Does anyone know how much they cost??  Can't find it on the web site.

Thanks,
Ron

Floridagent

You "register" at PowerTiller.com and they'll respond to you with price info.
"Cay Cat"     (say "keycat")

kickingbug1

i have a single dock line that runs from the bow cleat to one of the stern cleats. it has plenty of slack in it to it can be tied to dock cleats both bow and stern. I have used this system on my cp 16 and my catalina 18. when you jump to the dock just have the line on both hands and you can "steer" the boat where you want. It also works great when guiding the boat on the trailer.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

brackish

Quote from: Floridagent on December 30, 2017, 09:10:49 AM
You "register" at PowerTiller.com and they'll respond to you with price info.

I "registered" about a month ago.  Zero response.

rbh1515

If you like electric, Torqeedo is the best bet, especially with the remote throttle.  YouTube video of my daughter taking the HDC out.
ROB

https://youtu.be/dorUd2PFDqk
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End