Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Neuse River Destination

Started by deisher6, November 06, 2017, 04:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deisher6

Turnagain Bay

Several years ago (about 33), while sailing out of Hancock Creek in a Jaguar 23 that had about a foot and half draft when the very heavy daggerboard was up, I wanted to explore Turnagain Bay.  It looked like a possible way to get to the Core Banks and sounds without venturing out into the Pamlico.  Before we got around to it we upgraded to a C-27 and I was put off by the soundings on the charts.

Turnagain Bay is the last bay off the south side of the Neuse River before entering the Pamlico Sound.  It is to the east of South River.

This past weekend Terry, his C-23 'Cool Change', and Windrunner met up in Hancock and sailed, motor sailed, and motored to Marker #3 in Turnagain Bay.  We anchored there and rowed the length of the canal shown on the charts.

The depths all of the way to #3 were all over 8 feet.  Navigation was pretty straight forward with a chart and depth finder.  The holding ground at #3 was good.  The depths in the canal were over a 6 foot oar except at the entrance by #3.  We took just one sounding there and that was about 4 feet.  I think that a C-27 will fit though the canal with due care.  Certainly a C-23 could make it.

The Bay and the canal partially circle a bombing range(s).  BT-11 and BT-12 if my memory of duties at Cherry Point serves.  If you trust the accuracy of Marine Air, and probably Navy too,  there can be a possible air show nearby. This weekend there was no low level flying.  A couple of jets were in a pattern after sunset.  We did not hear any live ordnance. 

At the Long Bay end of the canal we could see Cedar Island and (I think a causeway or bridge).  Neither one of us wanted to take our boat binoculars in the dink.

There were several outboard type fishing boats speeding around.  Probably less than a dozen the time we spent there. 

The mosquitos were bothersome around sunset.  OFF and cold beer took care of the immediate insect problem, we both put up screens overnight.

Overnight a NNE wind came up.  Our choice of anchorage was OK but might have been better if we had moved further up the bay.  The wind did serve for a great ride under reefed mains and full jibs over to (lower) Broad Creek. We did have to motor past Marker #1.

So if you are looking for an alternate to South River if is worth considering.

Smooth Sailing

regards charlie

Razor

Charlie's CP-27 "Windrunner" and my CP-23 "Cool Change rafted up in Hancock Creek before heading to Turnagain Bay.
"Cool Change" - 1994 Com-pac 23

Razor

Charlie sailing "Windrunner" hard to Turnagain Bay

Razor

Just before sunset at Turnagain Bay

Razor

Rafted up before the sun goes down in Turnagain Bay

Razor

Windrunner heading out on the Neuse River in 15 knot winds

deisher6

Hey Terry & Cool Change:
Thanks for the nice pictures.  It was a great sail...have to do it again soon.

By the Way: the 'sunset' picture was moments before the mosquitoes came out enforce.

Smooth Sailing

regards charlie

deisher6

Received a couple of emails from Jeff Tsai and Terry...I thought that it would be interesting for C-16, 19 and 23 owners and possibly suggest a sailing destination for them.  They are not in order....

Terry,

I saw Charles write up about you two's trip to Turnaround bay.  I have been there and arrived from opposite direction via Core Sounds in CP19! 

Neal and I launched at Beaufort and sailed north past Harkers Island in Core Sound to Sea Level and Atlantic to reach Thorofare Bay.  Heading west there is a man made canal goes under Hwy 12 that connects to Long Bay, then the Old Canal that leads to Turnagain bay.  The high rise bridge you two saw was Hwy 12.

Beautiful and isolated sailing ground.  I do miss those adventures in a small boat.

Jeff

Hey Jeff:  In the mid '80s we had a Jaguar 23.  It drew about 18 inches with its 1000+lb dagger board up.  The board had a 4 part trailer type winch on it.  We were stationed at Cherry Point and I wanted to do the cruise to Turnagain Bay and on out to the banks with the family.  It would have been the ideal boat.

I share your interest in those type of places.  Possibly we need two boats!!!!

You should append your trip notes to the CPYOA blog or I would be glad to do it if OK with you.  It may inspire a CP-19 > skipper to take the trip.

regards charlie

On Nov 16, 2017, at 4:05 PM:

Hi Charlie

I made the trip in CP19 and the other boat was San Juan 23.  We had more problem with shallow water at Core Sound side and did not run aground while traversing both canals.  Claiborne Young's book says the old canal was dug by native Indians. 

I love sailing in those less traveled areas.  One can be more care free sailing in small boat knowing won't get into too much trouble.  Your CP 27 and my Sabre 28 have higher comfort index but low on adventure index.  I need to find myself a trailerable boat!

Jeff

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 1:53 PM, Charles Deisher <deisher.6@suddenlink.net> wrote:
Hey Jeff:  Terry forwarded your comments about your trip through the canal at Turnagain Bay.

Being whimps we rowed the length of the canal from the Turnagain.  We took some soundings with an oar.  The canal itself seemed pretty deep, over 6 feet.  However the one sounding we took near the Turnagain side was about 4 foot.  The charts say 2 ft.

Did you all take any soundings?

Smooth Sailing
regards charlie