Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

modifications for single hanling

Started by lockwoods, June 26, 2017, 07:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lockwoods

I will be single  handking my new sunday cat
Any suggestions for modification re sheet, tiller, ballast, lazy jacks, downhaul, jiffy reefing, etc.?

Steve

Mike Howell

I single hand most of the time. It's a great boat and easy to sail single handed. The only mod I would make is to add goal posts to the trailer.
Congratulations on the Suncat. Be sure to download the Catboat manual.
Where will you be sailing?

Mike
Suncat
Lake Wylie SC

Tom L.

A tiller pilot is very handy for single handeling. It's that second hand to steer while hauling the halyards and will keep the boat into the wind.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

ghsfusioneer

I agree with the need for a tiller pilot - especially for single handling.  Wear a life jacket!

Tom L.

Good point never engage an autpilot while single handeling until you put the pfd on.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

hoddinr

I would suggest that you add a throat halyard downhaul to make sure you can get the gaff down quickly and safely when you need to.

Ron

DanM

I second Ron's comment. Our SunCat's P.O. added a gaff throat downhaul and it is very useful when dousing the sail. Ditto lazyjacks.

Galnorth

I single hand my suncat almost exclusively.  I'd agree on lazy jacks and definitely on a gaff downhaul.  I use a tiller clutch to steady the tiller when needed.  While I try to avoid going out when I need to reef I'd also suggest setting up for one line reefing.

Joseph

Most has been said... I'd just like to add the following: flat jacklines along each gunnel (to latch the tether of the PFD/harness), a boarding ladder (a must, if you do not have one) held in such a way that it could be easily deployed from the water. I had lazy jacks but ended removing them... I find useful to have also an extension pole attached to the gear-lever in the outboard, and have also added a loose line loop hanging forward inside the cockpit, attached to both mid-ship cleats: nice for aging sailors to grab and help them stand-up while heeling... :) :).

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat #365 (2010)
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

lockwoods

I still have a few questions

First, thanks for the many observations.  I've now been sailing for month in wins from 0 to 20 knots.  I love the stability – both under sale and at the dock. It is the only 19 footer on which you can stand on a gunwale  boarding or doing something at the mast

The stepping/unstepping for trailering is truly unique – as all owners know.  I keep my son On the lift here in Maryland – but expect to have some experience this winter doing single-handed launches at boat ramps in Florida

I have a couple of questions and observations:
1. I haven't yet developed a technique to make effective use of the Sail Cradle MKIV shock cord lazy jacks.  Setting them up when lowering the sail single-handed is awkward – and I haven't figured out a technique to consistently lower the gaffe between the port and starboard lazy jacks

2. I'm not accustomed to a double main sheet.  I'm not sure I see the advantage.  They may provide some Vang functionality – and offer alternative points of main sheet control (windward or leeward)  but adjusting the tail length, etc. is a pain.  Wouldn't a traveler – adjustable or not – be preferable for single handing

3. Handling and outboard over the transom (with the low mount and the sheet in the way, etc.)  Is a pain.  I have partially solved this problem by getting an electric outboard (Torqeedo) which is quite expensive -- but light, simple, reliable, quiet and odor free.   I will have to upgrade to the larger battery if I am going to motor more than in and out of my dock area – and batteries are expensive

4.  FYI I keep my Suncat on the lift -- this is especially important since I travel in and out of town and the dock watch anxiety with my previous boat has been eliminated

5. I have 2X 150 lb ballast water bags and am experimenting.  Anyone have wisdom>

5.  I don't have a down haul. But in thinking about it

6.  Stupid question: coming about in light air in the cat boat is always a challenge.  I was thinking of a tiny tiny club jib on the force day. Thoughts?

I look forward to heariing from you

Steve
on the Chesapeake (Middle River)   

john trussell

I'm an old sailor with a relatively new Sunday Cat. I don't have lazy jacks or a topping lift, but I'm thinking about adding the latter just to keep the boom from falling along side the boom gallows when scandalized or lowering the sails.

I can see the value of a double sheet for boats which are either sailed at considerable heel or boats which depend on crew weight to stay upright. But our catboats don't fall into either category. I'm still learning my boat, but I haven't yet figured out why the factory went to the trouble and cost to rig the mainsheet this way. I kinda wish they had chosen a simpler system and spent the money on bigger cleats instead!

Yes, dealing with a motor hanging off the transom is a pain and yes a gear shift extension would help--I need to rig one. And some sort of tiller clutch arrangement.

I've read about the need for a gaff downhaul, but I found that application of a product called "McLube" to the slugs and the slot in the mast makes the rig come down under the influence of gravity.

I've owned a number of different boats and it has taken me time to sort them out and learn their ways. I'm still working on it.

JohnT

hoddinr

I use a combination of McLube Sailkot on the sail track slugs and goosenecks, AND a throat halyard down haul.  I got rid of lazy jacks and boom kicker and now just use an adjustable (from the cockpit) topping lift to keep the boom from hammering the boom gallows when lowering the sail in any wind.

Tiller pilot is always used for long motoring and for single handed raising and lowering of the sail.

Ron

ghsfusioneer

I don't know if it will help any of you, but I have have added an aluminum extension to the gear shift lever on my Yamaha 4 HP.  It did require drilling a couple of holes through the factory lever for screws to hold the extension.