a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Jib Downhaul

Started by Gerry, July 12, 2016, 11:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerry

This morning I installed a jib downhaul on my CP16.  I purchased 20' of 3/16" nylon cord and a cheap block for the sake of experimentation.  Next I ran the cord thru the hanks, tied the line onto the top hank, ran the line through the block and back to the cockpit.  This worked perfect.  I will eliminate the pulley and run the cord thru the bottom islet of the jib.  This will result in keeping the cord attached to the jib for storage.  The 16 jib is small and light (from National Sails); there is no need for a block.  Now there is no reason to go forward except at the dock.  Thanks again forum for the idea.

Gerry
WyattC
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

Bertchamberlain

Hello,
Could you send a photo or drawing of what you did? Thank you, y

carry-on

Bert,
The picture, if t shows, does not have the jib sail in place, but the line and block are there.
As Gerry described, the downhaul line runs through the jib hanks and is tied to the top hank. Use a compact knot like a buntline hitch, so you don't jamb when hoisting or lowering the sail. Don't tie the downhaul to the head of the sail because that will bend the head and increase the chance of jambing.
1/8 inch line is enough since there is no load on the line. 3/16 " might be more comfortable to handle.
How much line? You need about ten feet plus the length of the luff of your largest jib.
The block near the tack of the jib turns the downhaul line to the cockpit where the line is secured.
When you are ready to hoist the jib, the jib downhaul is free to run. Once the sail is up and  halyard secured, secure the downhaul line in the cockpit without strain. When the time comes to douse the sail, head into the wind, slack the halyard while pulling on the downhaul and your jib will pile on deck.  Secure the downhaul to keep the sail under control.
If the jib is large or new, you may need to secure it with a bungee or line. This can usually be done from the companionway.  All lines to the cockpit is a good goal.
On a calm day, you can try this rig in your driveway and see how it works.
Happy sailing.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886