a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Packing gland

Started by 49captain, December 17, 2017, 02:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

49captain

I just received my new Horizon DayCat 20.  It seems that the packing gland is leaking a little too much - almost a very thin, steady stream when under power.  I only have a couple of hours on the engine.
It is impossible for me to get in there to adjust it.  After two tries, several bruises and much struggling to get out, and that was with help, I know that I will never be able to get in there. 
I am therefore considering cutting an access hole in the cabin floor and installing a Bomar inspection hatch.  I know I have to deal with hoses, cables, the centerboard line, etc., but that is the only way I'll ever be able to reach either the shaft packing or the binge pump.  I plan on glassing a reinforcement beam under the cabin floor if necessary.
I hate to take such drastic action but I see no other alternative.

Does anyone have any advice? 

Thanks in advance.

49captain
Ron

rbh1515

You probably won't get any responses on this one...most HDC's have an outboard.  That's what I have.  I wanted to take a look down in that area once, and also found its pretty tight down there and pretty much impossible to get access.  I would check with Gerry Hutchins at ComPac and see what he has to say.  They are very helpful!  Did you buy the boat brand new?  Post some pics of the boat...always good to see new HDCs.  I think I am the only one on here with an HDC that ever posts anything. 
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

49captain

Thanks.  I have talked to the Com-Pac people.  I guess I'm going to install a hatch.  It shouldn't be too difficult, i just get nervous about cutting a hole in the boat.  On the other hand, having a hole in the boat that is not accessible also makes me nervous.  I had the same access problem on my Island Packet 29.  I finally had a friend weld extensions onto two open-ended wrenches so I could reach the stuffing box.  Expensive but it worked.  Thank goodness I never had to repack it.

After years of owning small boats and dinghies with small outboards I decided to go with the diesel.  I never did find a small outboard that wasn't a real pain.
Ron

rbh1515

Mine is relatively trouble free...Torqeedo:  https://youtu.be/dorUd2PFDqk
My daughter taking the HDC out.
Rob

Bilge Rat

please post photo of hatch you install. Am considering doing something similar. Bilge access is not something easily found in these boats it seems.
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

49captain

It will probably be spring before I install the hatch.  I'll probably go with the Bomar hatch - the same size that's under the seats.  Com-Pac says that that shoukd not compromise th3 strength of the deck.  I'm planning on putting it aft of the center board line.  That will put it partially over the aft bulkhead but that will give the best access to the packing and there will be reinforcement under the hatch.

A friend of mine who builds and repairs boats will help and he says it should be no problem.

I'll be sure to post pictures of the process.
Ron

49captain

I viewed the video of your daughter.  I had considered going with the Torqueedo but we sail on a large bay and on the open ocean here in the Florida panhandle and I was concerned with the range of the motor, recharging time, and power.  On more than one occasion we have had to motor for 3 -4 house against a 4 knot current due to tidal and river flows.  Unfortunately a reliable, long-distance engine is a necessity here. 

I love the HDC with the diesel.  The ONLY issue I have is access to the bilge and the packing gland.  If I can resolve this I believe I will have the best boat available for a 70-ish old guy. 

Capt Ron (not the "other" one)
Ron

rbh1515

Ron,
For your use, the Torqeedo would not work.  It wouldn't have enough power going up against a current.
Rob