a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Compac 27 for sale in Indiana

Started by thomeng55, October 07, 2017, 03:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomeng55

I just saw this post on Sailboat Listings and thought I would pass along.  This is not my boat.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/68654

Thom

Bob23

Looks interesting...Triad trailer. Wonder why it has a new mast?

peterg

Bob, I'd bet the ranch that the goofy Isofurl  furling system, in which the aluminum furling foil IS the headstay- holding the mast up-failed disastrously. Never liked the foil doing double duty......headstays hold up masts and foils roll up sails. Always wanted to change this on Afternoon Beagle, but sold her before the swap. Notice, also, that there is a new Harken furler with headstay and new standing rigging on this offering. What furling system is on new 27s?
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

Bob23

Good point, Pedro. The ad says "Points up well". I thought the 27's didn't go to windward all that well, am I correct? Either way, I'm sticking with my little 23 for now! She's perfect, faster than ever and...paid for!! Now all I need to do is introduce just a touch of weather helm and she'll be fine!

rogerschwake

About the 27 not pointing, it all has to do with the person sailing it. Sun-Cats are said to not point but I don't seem to have much trouble with mine. As far as something needing a touch, I can't think of anyone better than then you Bob, the most touched sailor I know.

ROGER

Bob23

Roger, I cure can't argue with your diagnosis. But I didn't know the Suncats had a reputation for not pointing all that high and yes, you certainly know how to sail yours! I was always under the opinion that the 16, 19, 23, and 27 were not the best to windward but honestly, the only boat I have personal experience with is of course, my 23.

deisher6

In regards to '27s pointing, I would venture that 65% of it is attributable to the sailor and 35% to the sails.  Windrunner's main is from a 1988.  If the draft moves any further aft it will be behind the backstay.  It causes a bunch of heeling when pinched.  There doesn't seem any way to tension the halyard or outhaul to make it work better. 

Wes and I sailed Windrunner once with his new main and it worked much better, and gave me a bad case of mainsail envy.  I need to plead with the CFO for funding for a new main.

Smooth Sailing

regards charlie

brackish

"Points up well".....compared to what.  Folks, lets face facts you can improve the ability to go to weather with very good sails, a properly tuned standing rigging and mast rake, a properly sized foiled rudder with no play and a helmsman who knows how to sail.  But you still have a shallow draft, rather stubby somewhat long keel and that will end up being the limiting factor.  It can only do what it can do.  There are many boats in the size range that point better, and certainly some that are worse. 

I would rate my 23 as points fair, not well.  I could improve it with all of the above, and in addition mid boom sheeting with a proper traveler.

Tim Gardner

Bracket,

And your 'point' is?

One of my favorite things to do while sailing to weather is to watch my actual bearing and not the compass.  I do that with a handheld compass sighting a point on the shore and noticed very its bearing, and checking that 1 minute later for the new bearing to that point.  I can then guage the sideways slip

Note that I don't do that all the time, just when I need to remind myself to account for sideslip.
TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.