a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Maiden Sail on my New Eclipse

Started by gmerrill, October 04, 2017, 09:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

The conditions were a lot worse than forecast. I sail the Ms Sound a lot and this is the worst I've seen the waves.  Rolling 5 footers.  The wind was tough but not that bad.  I was not prepared for what I was getting into.  I didn't have sails rigged properly.  But in spite of my failing the boat did extremely well. I was extremely impressed by the way it handle the wind and the waves.  The boat is a much stiffer boat than my previous Precision 23. Even though the waves were big, I never felt at anytime the eclipse could not handle it or more.
If I would have had a second pair of the hands the sail would have been much more enjoyable.  As it was it was a strenuous task to overcome my not rigging the sails correctly.  I am disappointed with the lack of storage for any type of long trip.  But the space is taken up by materials making the boat a survivor under tough conditions.  Thats my 2 cents worth.
Greg

TedStrat

Fantastic! The Eclipse can handle a lot, but wait until you have a sunny, relatively flat 12-15 kt day - you will really love it!
-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

alsantini

Very cool.  I have found like Vector always says that the boat can handle way more than me.  Don't forget it is always acceptable to declare it is Miller time.  I have small bins that fit really well into the various compartments.  The port lazarette is actually huge and goes into the stern of the boat but the space was just about unusable until I placed 3 bins.  One carries all my repair stuff, one carries all the cleaning stuff and one has all the extra lines.  Now the compartment "appears" to be organized.  Overnight I put most of my stuff in the V berth compartment since it is also quite large.
Good sailing weather is hopefully heading your way and a bit less wave action.  Enjoy.  Sail On.    Al

AislinGirlII

Coming home yesterday thru Pass  I was thinking how rough it looked out there..and Monday it was howling bad enough I was hanging on just to pump gas at the service station..looks like may get worse this weekend, probably pulling my 23 out of Long Beach Harbor tomorrow just in case..

gmerrill

Al
Could you send me a picture via email of the type of storage bins or containers you are using.
Greg

alsantini

I will take some shots when I am next at the boat.  But, in the meantime, they are IRIS 5 Qt storage bins that I bought from Amazon.  The 5 qt variety is 14.10 long 7.99 Wide and 4.53 High.  Currently they are available in packs of 10 for $23.39.  Probably not the greatest quality but I do not go into them all that often.  I like that they are clear and stack with locking lids.  I am currently using all 10 in a variety of places.  They even fit under the sink and stove compartment through the rather small opening at the floor.  I hate stuff floating around in my boat especially when I am trailering it.

gmerrill

Thanks for answering my question Al