a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Battery volt meter

Started by Garyandjoanlee, July 10, 2017, 03:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garyandjoanlee

Quick tip that I am enjoying!  These simple and inexpensive volt / amp meters plug in to your cigarette lighter (They still call them that? or am I showing my age!) and give you instant battery reading for volt / amp. Several come with cell phone usb charge ports built in. Amazon $10
Gary & Joan Lee
Passing Wind
Com Pac 16 ll

Bob23

Thanks. I'm gonna get me one.

rogerschwake

I've been using one of these for a couple years with no problems. When it goes below ten volts I charge the battery. The battery will run a depth finder auto helm and a couple hours of LED lights for more than five days. Give one a try there cheep.

ROGER

DsquareD

My dad gave me one once and I have no idea where I placed it. I never had need of it before.

Thanks for the tip.
Face your fears. Chase your dreams.

deisher6

Hey Gary and Joan Lee:
Thank you for the tip.  A voltmeter has been on my to do list for the past 4 years.  What kind, where to mount, how to wire, all caused procrastination.

Ordered one last night, problem solved.

Thanks again.

regards charlie

wes

Roger - not sure if there's a typo in your post, but discharging a lead-acid battery to 10 volts is likely to seriously shorten its life. The rule of thumb for battery health is never to discharge below 50% state of charge, which would be 12.1 volts for conventional flooded lead acid.

Compass Marine has great info about batteries; see this post and others on their web site:

http://www.pbase.com/Maine cruising/battery_state_of_charge

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina