a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bayfield to Thunderbay

Started by Rafici, June 27, 2017, 02:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafici

Dragging my 25 the 8-9 hours up to Washburn Wi. for hopefully 10 days of blowing around Superior.  *happydance*  Planning a run up to Isle Royale, maybe Thunder Bay Canada.   Hoping to rent a slip rest of July thru end of August and take me some 5 day weekends.      If your floating around there I'll be on Solitude.

Vipersdad

Are you launching at the Washburn Marina?
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Rafici

Yes that's the plan, hoping to be there by the 17th.

Rafici

This was a good trip, didn't make it much further than the Apostles.  Was quickly humbled by that big lake. She gets mean quick.  Left the boat at the marina, for trailer storage so I have an excuse to take a long weekend or 2.

DsquareD

Glad you had a good time. Would love to sail up there from Green Bay one summer.
Face your fears. Chase your dreams.

Brian Driscoll

Hello ! We were in Bayfield around July 1 this year.Picked up our new to us 1991 CP 16 in Minocqua ,Wisconsin and launched in the Washburn Marina. Rented slip #32 for a few days and sailed the bay south of the marina a couple of times. Washburn has a great marina and a very friendly and accommodating  staff. We vacation in Bayfield for a week every summer and our new sailboat will make the trip even better.

Brian Driscoll

Read one of your earlier posts. You mentioned sailing in Iowa. We are from Eastern Iowa. Haven't had our CP 16 on the Mississippi River yet,butlive 3 blocks away. We do spend time on the river in our sea kayaks and around Bayfield and Red Cliff as well.

spsexton

I was just wandering that Marina last weekend and I think I saw your boat. If not, there's another Com-Pac living in a trailer there.

How's that ramp for launching?
Sean
1988 Com-Pac 16, hull #2562

Rafici

The ramp is one of the better ones ive used anywhere.  and marina staff have been good.

Vipersdad

s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Monona

Hello,

I just joined the forum.  I'm glad to find others sailing in Wisconsin.  I'm based out of Madison.  We just got a new to us CP Legacy.  Though we will not be able to sail it anymore this year, we are looking to a lot of fun in the 2018 season.

deisher6

Hey Wisconsin Sailors:
Had an opportunity to sail some on Superior 23-28 August. 

We launched from Bayfield-Grand Marias-Isle Royale-South Twin-Stockton-Bayfield.  We had planned on staying 2 days at Isle Royale but as we were sailing around the Rock of Ages Light the sailing was so great, beam reach steady 10-15 knots, sparkling clear water, moderate temperature (and a deteriorating weather forecast for the next day), we decided to head on back to the Apostles. It was an interesting 83 mile sail involving 2-4 ft waves 15-22 knot winds and all sail combinations from motor sailing with 1 reef in main and reefed jib to full main, jib, stay sail and asymmetrical jib all flying.  Was very happy to see the Outer Island Light at very-dark-stormy-thirty in the morning.

What a great place to sail: clear fresh water, not stuff growing on hulls, pretty scenery, good winds.  You all are  lucky.

There are some good things about Eastern NC too....year around sailing, and sand/mud bottom (no rocks to run into) no shoveling snow, block heaters, etc.

Sailed with two older guys on an Island Packet 27.  The IP 27 looks much like a ComPac-27...same designer, but trust me the IP is much Much nicer inside.

Our middle daughter was born in Superior while I was attending UW Superior.  I think that we gave her hypothermia on a x-country ski trip, explaining why she now lives in Rochester, MN.

Smooth Sailing.

regards charlie