a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Recommendations for Annapolis MD Slip / Storage

Started by AnchorJockey, October 08, 2017, 12:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnchorJockey

I am looking to move my CP 27 to Annapolis.  I am looking at marinas that offer winter storage on the hard and those that do not.  It seems that about half the boats stay in the water over any given winter.  I understand that ice is not a regular problem, and most marinas put in bubblers and / or watch for icing.  I am trying to figure out what the typical winter routine is for boat on the Chesapeake. Do most folks pull their boats in the middle Chesapeake every year?  Pull and store on the hard every couple of years and other years leave them in the water?  For example, a quick look at Bert Jabins tells me a 12 month slip would be about $3,600 and another $1,600 for land storage for 4 months (December 1st until March 31st). I would think I could just keep it in the water over the winter most years and have it shrink wrapped, then put it on the hard maybe every other couple of years for bottom maintenance or other projects, or just for a good dry-out.  Looking for guidance.  Thanks, Bob

Jon898

Bob:

Before I downsized to the PC, we kept our boats (Newport 28 and Precision 28) mostly on the east side of the bay.  The former was a Havre de Grace for 1 year, then Swan Creek and the latter at Long Cove (on the Chester).  Each year we hauled out and blocked on land in the winter as did probably 90 to 100% in those marinas.  Having had to literally dig out the snow in the cockpit with a snow shovel, I'd not be confident of storing in the water (snow weight/blocked drains/sunken boat) and the fouling of the bottom means you probably have to haul each year anyway.  Annapolis may be different, so as they say your performance may vary.

Jon

AnchorJockey

Thanks, Jon.  After posting I found another thread that talks about pros and cons of storage on the hard.  I think I get a feel for what folks are doing.

BBTVR

Brad here....CP 27 in Annapolis, but moving north to Middle River.
Annapolis is to expensive for me, however, I am on the hard in Mayo Maryland at Sailors Dock...Grab Bag Sailboats.
This is where I purchased my 27 two weeks ago.  Mayo is off Rte #2 one exit off 97 before Annapolis.
Since I live in Harrisburg, Pa it is quicker for me to get to Middle River, MD ( 1 hour).  I will be at Bowley's Marina. Right near Martin airfield.
$2100 for a 30 ft slip.  $650 to pull and block on the hard for the season.  I find 7 months in, 5 out works well.  Tide swells and NorEasters have made me learn not to stay in all year.  Lot's of Philadelphia folks dock in North East MD or down as far as Rock Hall.  Annapolis is really a great place to hang out, if you have a home or condo there.  Kind of a far drive if your over near Barnagat. Brad

Finbar Beagle

Brad,

I am heading to Grab Bag tomorrow to look at CP 16 Edleweiss.

Did you look at her?  I will look for your cp 27.  Craig did mention that he just sold a couple of them.

Regards,
Brian
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ