a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The more I sail the Eclipse

Started by Skip_956, November 14, 2006, 06:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skip_956

The more I like it.  As we all know it has a few quirks but once you have those figured out this is a great little boat to sail.  I have sailed in winds up to 30mph and in very light air and it will handle each.  I singlehand 3 out of 4 times I go out and the Eclipse and I have become great friends.  I was able to run down a Catalina 22 this weekend (he had reduced sail in 15-18) but I had full main and headsail.  Heel angle around 20 degrees most of the time but this little boat loves it.  It is more of a sport car rather than a sedan but the boat is such great fun to sail.  I don't overnight much but I can imagine it would be great for 2 adults and a young one.

Any one with questions or stories to pass on please do so.

Skip (Luna Sea II) at South Padre Island, Texas 

TR2020

Skip...

Just for the hell of it,  how far have you sailed offshore..   how far would you sail ?  would you singlehand offshore at night ?

also If you get into a picture taking mood I would like to see a photo of your mastender cover and a pic of your boom vang attached.  Where does the loop in the line go ?

Thanks

Tim

"Drift Away"
CP Eclipse #2
Deltona, FL

Skip_956

Tim, I am 62 years old and have sailed offshore extensively in my sailing career, however I would not venture too far offshore in the Eclipse or any other small light weight sailboat.  I do feel the Eclipse is well built and could make offshore trips in good weather.  Sailing in the Gulf of Mexico is very unpredictable and I wouldn't want to do anything but daysail on those good days. 

I will try to take those pics for you this weekend, the mastender cover is still working great and it is the best solution I have heard of so far.

Skip (Luna Sea II) South Padre Island, Texas

gradycampbell

In good weather I generally go out at Port Everglades, and go up or down the coast. I've not yet been out of sight of land, but I have been as much as about ten miles from the safety of the Intracoastal. I guess maybe that doesn't completely count as offshore. It definitely depends on the weather; I'd only do that on the better days as far as sea height and predicted sea height and so on. The worst part is always Everglades Inlet; I feel like a sitting duck sharing a confined space with so many powerboats and yachts and cruise ships, some of them going plenty fast. But the Eclipse actually handles that better than other boats I've used there such as a MacGregor 26M and a Lancer 29 powersailer. She has a very nice ride. Though the size of the 29 was comforting.
                                                                   Grady