a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Com Pac Boom Tendr conversion?

Started by Garyandjoanlee, July 17, 2017, 02:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garyandjoanlee

Has anyone installed the Com-Pac "Boom Tendr" conversion?  Would love to hear your opinion and experience with this device before I buy one. Looks like you can keep your Main on the mast and just fold everything up to trailer? Is it that simple?
Thanks!
Gary & Joan Lee
Passing Wind
Com Pac 16 ll

Garyandjoanlee

OK. I can only assume that either no one has ever used this "Boom Tendr" Conversion- OR you are tired of my posts!~ (Just kidding) So with the advice of Gerry from Com Pac Yachts- I am taking the plunge and adding this rod.  The end result is suppopsed to give me the ability to leave both my boom and mainsail right on the mast, folded up for trailering. Will report back!
Gary & Joan Lee
Passing Wind
Com Pac 16 ll

Bob23

Wouldn't the mast stick out pretty far off the stern of the boat? The Catboats have shorter masts and they are set farther forward so this arrangement works well. Still, I'm curious to see this work.

Garyandjoanlee

Funny you should ask that- its the first question I had for Com-Pac. No. The mast still slides off the mast step as always and suspends up front to trailer. Thats no different. But the boom & mainsail stay on the mast all folded together.
Gary & Joan Lee
Passing Wind
Com Pac 16 ll

Bob23

Interesting. So it works differently than the Catboats system where the top of the mast simply pivots down and rest on the gallows.

Tim Gardner

It works similar to the Legacy and Eclipse systems where the hinge is parted and the mast moves forward,
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

Aha, I see. Thanks for the enlightenment!

tmw

I'm curious about this, and look forward to hearing your report back.  Google wasn't very helpful, so first hand details will be great to see.

tmw

Com-Pac Legacy sailboat company video has a section called "At The Ramp" which briefly shows the detached mast being attached.  Seems to make more sense now, essentially replacing the mast step with a different one that folds and has two parts. 

MHardy

I have it on my 16 - works great. For trailering, the mast comes off the step and is supported on the bow pulpit and the gallows at the stern.
Seagull II, 1987 CP 27
Seagull, 1983 CP 16
Washington, North Carolina